Skip Navigation
UT wordmark
College of Liberal Arts wordmark
prc masthead
Mark D. Hayward, Director 305 E. 23rd Street, Stop G1800 78712-1699 • 512-471-5514


Filing a Request for Travel Authorization (RTA)

UT policy requires that faculty, staff, students, and visitors submit a Request for Travel Authorization (RTA) priorto a business trip and that the RTA be approved by UT prior to your starting your trip. A 30 day minimum is required for foreign travel.

An RTA should be submitted whether or not you are requesting reimbursement. Contact the administrative staff at to submit your RTA. UT requires the following information for RTAs; it will save time if you include this information in your email requesting an RTA:

  • Dates of Travel
  • Place(s) of Travel
  • Purpose of Travel
  • The account or grant to be charged (or state "no cost to UT")
  • If you are presenting a paper, the title of the paper or poster
  • If you are traveling to the DC area, the organization and/or person you are visiting, and the name of the faculty member who is filling in for you
  • If you are traveling at final exam time, an email from your chair approving your trip during the period.
  • If you are teaching a summer course and traveling, an email from your chair approving your trip during the summer course period
  • If using an NSF account, you are required to travel on a U.S.-flag air carrier

Please email with this information BEFORE you travel.


Filing a Faculty Travel Grant Application

The PRC administrative staff will file this application for you. When you make an RTA request, please inform the staff if you would like to request a faculty travel grant if you are presenting a paper at a professional meeting. Attending a meeting or chairing a session does not qualify for a faculty travel grant. Accepting an invitation to present a seminar or giving a colloquium at another university also does not qualify

UT provides eligible faculty up to $1200 per academic year for all allowable travel related expenses (such as lodging, meals, transportation and registration, which are non-taxable reimbursements), and can also be used to cover extra childcare expenses incurred because of the travel (a taxable reimbursement).

Eligibility: All tenured and tenure-track faculty members (Professor, Associate Professor, Assistant Professor and Instructor) and emeritus faculty are eligible. Senior Lecturers and Distinguished Senior Lecturers with at least five years of service at UT Austin are also eligible. Visiting, adjunct, research and clinical faculty, specialists, lecturers, classified personnel, and other non-teaching staff are ineligible. 

Your name must be on the program of the professional meeting. The faculty travel grant application needs to be submitted at least three weeks in advance of the trip. You must provide another account to put on the RTA that accompanies your faculty travel grant application in case your travel expenses go above the $1200 limit. If you need assistance with the application please contact


Travelling to Washington D.C.

Before an employee travels to Washington D.C., the Office of State-Federal Relations (OSFR) must be informed about the timing and purpose of the trip.   If traveling to Washington, DC, please provide the following information on your RTA request:

  • Primary Committees/Offices/Agencies/Organizations to be visited
  • Purpose
  • Travel Dates
  • Name of person and organization the traveler is going to see
  • Benefit to the University


Allowable Costs 

Allowable costs on most grants include airfare, hotel, local transportation, car rentals, airport parking, individual meals (without alcohol), business phone calls, and registration fees.  Unallowable costs include alcohol, group meals, payments made on behalf of another individual, dry cleaning or laundry services, maid service, fees to local events, personal phone calls, in-room movies, non-business internet fees, travel insurance, medical insurance, and other personal expenses. 

You must have an overnight stay to claim meals or lodging.  Vaccinations are reimbursable if required to enter the country.  Automobile insurance to Mexico is reimbursable but automobile insurance is not reimbursable for travel to other locations. You must have receipts for inter-city transportation (i.e., bus, train, or taxi receipts). There are further restrictions on state money.

State tax at Texas hotels is not reimbursable to UT or State employees.  UT or State employee travelers staying in Texas hotels should prepare and sign a Texas Hotel Occupancy Tax Exemption Certificate (PDF) and submit it to the hotel. 

If a department anticipates that an employee will be at a duty point for at least one month, the expense of leasing an apartment or house may be reimbursed. The apartment or house must be leased from a commercial establishment. The name of the employee must appear on the lease, and the purpose for leasing must be the conservation of state funds. Any deposit required for the lease of a house or apartment is the sole responsibility of the employee and is not reimbursable.


Making Airline, Hotel, and Car Rental Reservations

Once your RTA is submitted and approved, you may make your airline reservations by contacting Anthony Travel (512) 617-4444. Reservations made through Anthony Travel will be directly billed to the appropriate account.  You may also make reservations on your own.  In these cases, you pay for the ticket and are reimbursed after the trip.

State tax at Texas hotels is not reimbursable to UT or State employees.  UT or State employee travelers staying in Texas hotels should prepare and sign a Texas Hotel Occupancy Tax Exemption Certificate (PDF) and submit it to the hotel.   

UT has special procedures concerning direct billing of car rentals. If you wish to rent a car for your trip, please contact PRC admin staff to have them work on setting this up. [top]

Reimbursements, Receipts, and Documentation

We request that you submit your receipts and informal log within 10 days of returning to Austin to ensure reimbursement before the end of a grant or funding period. Receipts submitted after 60 days are not permitted.

Your receipts should be in your name and you should not pay for the travel expenses of other people.  For instance, if you turn in a hotel or meal receipt that indicates that you shared your room or meal with three others, you will be reimbursed 25% of the total bill.  Hotel and restaurant receipts must be itemized.   

Meals will be reimbursed $41/day for meals and receipts are not needed.

If you receive a package deal through Expedia or other on-line travel service, please submit a breakdown of the expenses to expedite your reimbursement.


bottom border