Institute for Israel Studies
The Institute for Israel Studies has moved! Come visit our new home at www.israelstudies.org.
The Schusterman Center for Jewish Studies established the Institute for Israel Studies January 1, 2015. Our main mission is to advance a rigorous and multi-disciplinary approach to the study of Israel.
What we've accomplished so far:
- Created a network of UT faculty members and graduate students who serve as our core team.
- Sponsored and co-sponsored several lectures and events.
- Cast a wide net of collaborative efforts with Israeli academic institutions: We already have several joint projects with the University of Haifa, and we are now in the process of cultivating our ties with the Hebrew, Tel-Aviv and Bar-Ilan Universities.
Our objectives for the near future are vast:
- Consolidate a cluster of courses on Israel Studies at the undergraduate level.
- Provide support for research and teaching initiatives of our faculty.
- Institutionalize several events including the annual lectures in Israeli Law and Legal Studies and the annual lecture in memory of Asher Arian.
- Expand our study abroad programs, host prominent visitors from Israel and dedicate all of our energy to becoming the main hub for Israel Studies in the southern United States.