Israel Studies Collaborative
The Schusterman Center for Jewish Studies established the Israel Studies Collaborative in 2011. Our main mission is to advance a rigorous and multi-disciplinary approach to the study of Israel.
Over the few months since the collaborative was initiated we have accomplished quite a lot:
- Created a network of UT faculty members and graduate students who serve as our core team.
- Sponsored and co-sponsored several lectures and events. Further, the Schusterman Center will be a co-sponsor of the Annual Meeting of the Association for Israel Studies.
- Cast a wide net of collaborative efforts with Israeli academic institutions: We already have several joint projects with the University of Haifa, and we are now in the process of cultivating our ties with the Hebrew, Tel-Aviv and Bar-Ilan Universities.
Our objectives for the near future are vast:
- Consolidate a cluster of courses on Israel Studies at the undergraduate level.
- Provide support for research and teaching initiatives of our faculty.
- Institutionalize several events including the annual lectures in Israeli Law and Legal Studies and the annual lecture in memory of Asher Arian.
- Expand our study abroad programs, host prominent visitors from Israel and dedicate all of our energy to becoming the main hub for Israel Studies in the southern United States.