"Hungry in America" Panel
Thu, September 15, 2011 • 6:30 PM - 8:30 PM
Associate Prof Elizabeth Engelhardt Speaks after Special Screening of Film Dive!
The Blanton Museum of Art and the Capital Area Food Bank of Texas (CAFB) are presenting a special screening of "DIVE!," a documentary by Jeremy Seifert, followed by a panel discussion with the filmmaker and others on Thursday, Sept. 15, 6:30 p.m. in The Blanton Auditorium. Attendees are encouraged to bring a healthy canned good for admission to the event.
For one in six Americans today, hunger is a reality. "DIVE!," an award-winning film, explores the paradox of wasted food and record levels of hunger in America. Following the screening, the filmmaker and a panel of local experts will discuss the issues raised in the film and how Austinites can play an active role in solving this problem.
"Hungry in America" panelists include:
- Elizabeth Engelhardt, associate professor in the Department of American Studies and author of "Republic of Barbecue: Stories Beyond the Brisket"
- Hank Perret, president and CEO of Capital Area Food Bank
- Ronda Rutledge, city of Austin Sustainable Food Policy Board
- Jeremy Seifert, "DIVE!" filmmaker
- Monica Williams, Giving City Austin founding editor (moderator)
As part of this unique collaboration with the CAFB, The Blanton will host a food drive from Sept. 15-30. Visitors to the museum who contribute canned goods such as tuna, chicken, beef ravioli and fruit in light syrup (preferably with pop-tops) will receive $1 off admission with their donation during the run of the food drive, Sept. 15-30. (A total of $1 off one regularly priced admission will be given, regardless the number of cans donated.)