Affiliate Faculty — Ph.D., University of Wisconsin-Madison
- E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone: 512-232-6310
Forthcoming. Discounted Life: The Price of Global Surrogacy in India. New York University Press.
Ethnic Routes to Becoming American: Indian Immigrants and the Cultures of Citizenship. Rutgers University Press. 2004
2016 “What to Expect When You’re Expecting: Consuming Parenthood Through Surrogacy in India,” special issue titled "Intimate Industries: Restructuring (Im)Material Labor in Asia," positions: asia critique 24 (1). Edited by Rhacel Parrenas, Rachel Silvey, and Hung Cam Thai.
2014 “From Sweatshops to Intimate Labor: Employment Strategies Among Surrogate Mothers in Bangalore, India,” (translated to French) for a special issue on reproductive technologies in Les Cahiers du Genre. Biotechonologies et Travail reproducif. Une Perspective Transnationale. Vol. 56, 2014: 59-86). Edited by Ilana Lowy, Virginie Rozee, and Lawrence Tain.
2012 “Working India’s Reproductive Assembly Line: Surrogacy and Reproductive Rights?” Western Humanities Review. Vol. 66 (3): 77-101.
2012 “India’s Reproductive Assembly Line.” Contexts. Spring 2012; Vol. 11 (2): 22-27.
* Revised version translated into Kannada and re-printed in Prajavani, the largest circulating weekly in the southern Indian state of Karnataka. 2013.
* Translated to German and reprinted in Utne Reader, Fall 2014.
* Reprinted in Reproduction and Society: Interdisciplinary Readings. Edited by Carole Joffe and Jennifer Reich. Routledge: New York, 2015.
2010 “Outsourcing Labor: Transnational Surrogacy in India.” Research in the Sociology of Work, Volume title, “Gender and Sexuality in the Workplace.” Edited by Christine Williams and Kirsten Dellinger. Vol 20.
* Reprinted in Outsourcing Life: Globalization and Transnational Surrogacy in India, co-edited by Shamita Das Dasgupta and Sayantani DasGupta, Lexington Books. 2014.