— Doctoral Candidate, The University of Texas at Austin
" The world is my office. "
- E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Office: SAC 4.192
- Office Hours: Mondays and Wednesdays 9-11AM
- Campus Mail Code: C3200
ANT 304 • Intro Ary Stds I: Prehist Ary
MW 800am-900am CLA 0.112
An introduction to archaeology as a discipline. Three major themes that deal with issues of the past will be covered:
1. A brief history of the discipline, changing theories about various aspects of the past, and the role that the reconstructions of the past play in national and/or group identities.
2. A survey of the development of human culture from its beginnings to the rise of civilizations and proto-historical cultures in most areas of the world. Prehistoric cultures, archaeological sites, and areas of Africa, the Americas, Asia, Europe , and the Pacific will be covered.
3. Archaeological methods of recovery of information about the past. Scientific procedures involved in excavation, dating, and preservation of the material record.