- E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Office: SAC 4.192
- Office Hours: By appointment
I have been a graduate student at UT Austin since 2009 and am currently working on a Ph.D. in the subfield of archaeology. My dissertation research focuses on burial practices of the ancient Maya, specifically located in Northwestern Belize. I specialize in human osteology and bioarchaeology and am currently exploring forensic anthropology as well.
Outside of dissertation work, I have also conducted excavations throughout the midwestern United States while working on projects for cultural resource management firms. I have also spent four years assisting a field school hosted by UT which investigated the historic and prehistoric components of an archaeological site in Austin. I am very passionate about public outreach and education in archaeology, and enjoy working with local schools and communities to help them explore their local history whenever the opportunity arises.
As an undergraduate, I attended The University of Iowa in Iowa City. While there I earned Bachelor's degrees in Anthropology and German. My Master's research (also a bioachaeological study of the ancient Maya) was completed in 2011 at UT Austin. My advisor is Dr. Fred Valdez, Jr.
ANT S304 • Intro Ary Stds I: Prehist Ary
MTWTHF 830am-1000am SAC 4.174
An introduction to archaeology as a discipline. Three major themes that deal with issues of the past will be covered:
1. A brief history of the discipline, changing theories about various aspects of the past, and the role that the reconstructions of the past play in national and/or group identities.
2. A survey of the development of human culture from its beginnings to the rise of civilizations and proto-historical cultures in most areas of the world. Prehistoric cultures, archaeological sites, and areas of Africa, the Americas, Asia, Europe , and the Pacific will be covered.
3. Archaeological methods of recovery of information about the past. Scientific procedures involved in excavation, dating, and preservation of the material record.