ANT 324L • Digital Data Systems in Archaeology
3:00 PM-6:00 PM
TAR 5D Rm 2
Provides the basic skills needed to operate digital equipment (GPS / TDS) commonly used for collecting location data on archaeological sites. Training will include classroom instruction on mapping grid systems / datums and
An introduction will also be provided to near-surface sensing techniques including field demonstrations with a Ground Penetrating Radar system and a magnetometer. GIS classroom work will include an introduction to processing data from these digital collection systems into visual displays using GIS software. Students will be tested early in the semester on their knowledge of site mapping and digital data collection methods acquired during classroom lectures (20% of semester grade). The remaining 80% of the semester grade will be based on student field performance with the digital collection systems (20%) and the quality of maps produced using the GIS software (3 maps will be assigned, accounting for 30%, 15%, and 15% of the total grade).
TEXTBOOKS (PROVIDED DIGITALLY ON GIS COMPUTERS) Minami, Michael, 2000, Using ArcMap. Environmental Systems Research Institute, Inc., Redlands, California. Tucker, Corey, 2000, Using ArcToolbox. Environmental Systems Research Institute, Inc., Redlands, California. Vienneau, Aleta, 2001, Using ArcCatalogue Environmental Systems Research Institute, Inc., Redlands, California. REFERENCE BOOKS (PROVIDED IN CLASSROOM) 2001 Mapping Systems. Trimble Navigation Limited, Sunnyvale, California. 2001 GPS Pathfinder Office. Trimble Navigation Limited, Sunnyvale, California. 2001 GeoExplorer 3 Operation Guide. Trimble Navigation Limited, Sunnyvale, California. 2000 Sokkia SET 500 Operation Guide. Sokkia Co., Ltd., Tokyo.