Cadet of the Semester (COS)
The Cadet of the Semester Board provides MS I, MS II, and MS III cadets an opportunity to go before a board and gain experience. It also provides the Basic Course cadets with promotion points that will assist them in future promotions. There will be one competition at the end of each semester for each MS class where cadets can demonstrate their knowledge, discipline, and military bearing.
Selection for the Board
Cadets that are active, enthusiastic, and motivated are most likely to be selected for the board. Eligible candidates will be recommended by their chain of command who will forward the cadet's name to the Sergeant Major.
Preparing for the Board
The uniform for the board is the Class B uniform with all decorations and awards unless otherwise specified. Ensure that your uniform is clean and pressed, double check the placement of all awards, and ensure that your shoes are well shined. Questions will come from the information in the COS study guide, your MS Class, and current events of military significance. Preparation and study are very important if you wish to do well.
The Cadet of the Semester Board
You should arrive at RAS, at least 15 minutes before the board is scheduled to convene. The board will consist of the Senior Military Instructor (SMI), MS-III Instructor, Assistant MS-III Instructor, and Cadet CSM. Each cadet before the board will be asked the same questions. When it is your turn to enter the board:
1. Knock with authority on the door to the board and wait.
2. When you are told to enter, walk directly to chair in front of the board.
3. Salute the SMI, say in a firm voice "Cadet <surname> reporting for the Cadet of the Month Board".
4. Do not drop the salute until the SMI salutes back or tells you to have a seat.
5. Follow the orders of the board.
6. When you are dismissed, stand up, salute the SMI, wait for a response, and walk directly out.
How to do well at the Cadet of the Semester Board
- Be prepared (in other words, STUDY) download a COS study guide (PDF, 91K)
- Be confident. Answer the questions in a firm voice, and if you don't know an answer, be honest and tell them that you don’t know the answer
- Have a perfect uniform. An incorrect uniform will harm you more than any missed question
- Demonstrate military bearing
- Ask your chain of command for help in getting ready
The Cadet CSM has the overall responsibility for managing and scheduling the Cadet of the Semester Board for each MS Class at the end of each semester.