Skip Navigation
UT wordmark
College of Liberal Arts wordmark
classics masthead classics masthead
Lesley Dean-Jones, Chair 2210 Speedway, Mail Code C3400, Austin, TX 78712-1738 • 512-471-5742

Fall 2006

GK 385 • Prose and Composition

Unique Days Time Location Instructor
32915 MWF
12:00 PM-1:00 PM
WAG 112
Nethercut

Course Description

This course will include a review of Greek grammar. Accents will not remain a mystery wrapped in Olympian cloud. We shall discover the personality of particles. The arrangement of words in phrases, the organization of sentences to achieve different colors of expression, the structuring of thought our Greek texts reveal, will be our study. In addition to the discussion of written assignments, each class meeting will include the opportunity to read from a Greek prose author ranging from early historical accounts and the lines of Pre-Socratic philosophers, through Xenophon, Plato, Thucydides, the rhetorical writers, and samplings from later Greek and the New Testament. Students will be encouraged to bring to class the most confusing Greek they are confronting; all will share in analyzing the problems. Above all, we shall write Greek! A special opporunity to understand in this rich language will be ours. Grading will be determined by daily exercises (20%), by a test on Greek Model Sentences (10%), by a test over the pricipal parts of major verbs (15%),by translations into Greek to be done in class by a Midterm Exam combining translation from Greek into English and also from English into Greek (25%), and by a combination of culminating exercises which will include the analysis of,and commentary upon, different passages in Greek literature (30%).

Texts

North and Hilliard's Greek Prose Composition Smyth's Greek Grammar

back

bottom border