Skip Navigation
UT wordmark
College of Liberal Arts wordmark
english masthead
english masthead
Martin Kevorkian, Chair CAL 226, Mailcode B5000, Austin, TX 78712 • 512-471-4991

Summer 2007

E f329K • Early Romantic Period, 1780-1815 (CANCELLED!)

Unique Days Time Location Instructor
84325 MTWThF
11:30 AM-1:00 PM
PAR 306
BAKER

Course Description

This course has been cancelled.

If "Romantic" names a timeless style and affect, it also names a quite specific period of British literary history: the extraordinary blossoming of poetry and prose that took place amidst the upheavals of the Age of Revolution. In this course we will read the seminal texts of early British Romanticism, poems by Wordsworth, Coleridge, and Blake foremost among them, together with influential treatises by thinkers such as Burke and Wollstonecraft, and with other literary and philosophical works that, although they may not fit comfortably under the description "Romantic," were no less integral to the tenor of the times.

Questions to be addressed include: What puts the "Romance" in Romanticism? What seems particularly remarkable about how these texts represent or evoke emotion, sentiment, or feeling? What does it mean for a style to seem the spirit of an age? How did the literary traditions and innovations of this particular epoch relate to its public events, such as the French Revolution, renewed British overseas imperialism, and the emergence of the industrial economy and a mass society? How did aesthetic forms change as the practice of literature changed, with new sorts of authors writing for new audiences for new reasons?

Grading Policy

There will be a total of eleven short writing assignments (six two-page papers and five quizzes): your score on the best 10 of these will count for 60% of your grade; attendance, participation, grades on occasional quizzes and a final exam will count for the other 40%.

Texts

Austen, Northanger Abbey
Radcliffe, A Sicilian Romance
Owenson, The Wild Irish Girl
Wolfson and Manning, eds., The Romantics & Their Contemporaries
Volume 2a of The Longman Anthology of British Literature

back

bottom border