Skip Navigation
UT wordmark
College of Liberal Arts wordmark
english masthead
english masthead
Elizabeth Cullingford, Chair CAL 226, Mailcode B5000, Austin, TX 78712 • 512-471-4991

Fall 2009

E 379S • Contemporary Native American Literature

Unique Days Time Location Instructor
35340
-

Cox, J

Course Description

Please refer to the course schedule for course days, time, room location, prerequisites and possible cross-listings: http://registrar.utexas.edu/schedules/

The focus of this class will be a small group of influential, award-winning, and often controversial Native American (American Indian) writers that are part of the first two generations of what has been called the Native American Renaissance. The authors that we read will provide us with the critical framework for our discussions of identity, storytelling, tradition, community, and the representation of Native Americans in popular culture. One primary goal will be to foreground Native historical, cultural, and intellectual contexts and to attempt to understand the readings from within those contexts.

Grading Policy

20% total for five reading responses of two pages each and for work on rough drafts of your essays in two peer review sessions; 30% total for two formal essays of three pages each; 50% total for one research paper of ten pages

Texts

Alexie, Sherman (Spokane and Coeur d'Alene) Reservation Blues; Erdrich, Louise (Ojibway or Anishinabe) Tracks; King, Thomas (Cherokee) The Truth About Stories; Power, Susan (Standing Rock Dakota) The Grass Dancer; Silko, Leslie Marmon (Laguna Pueblo) Ceremony; Selected poems and short stories by Alexie, King, and others in class handouts.

back

bottom border