Skip Navigation
UT wordmark
College of Liberal Arts wordmark
english masthead
english masthead
Martin Kevorkian, Chair CAL 226, Mailcode B5000, Austin, TX 78712 • 512-471-4991

Fall 2004

E 361K • English Drama to 1642

Unique Days Time Location Instructor
33045 MWF
12:00 PM-1:00 PM
PAR 206
BIRKHOLZ

Course Description

This seminar-style, participation-heavy course will examine early English dramatic practice via an approach that is text-based but also interdisciplinary—not to mention conceptually expansive. This means considering not only medieval ‘plays’ themselves, but also social performance (which is to say, occasions of heightened character role-playing) in a broader representational sense—the performance of community and/or identity, of social manners and political standing, of gender, discipline, devotion, and more.

On a first level, we will analyze how (and to what ends) medieval subjects themselves—performers and audiences alike—make meaning through dramatic activity and discourse. But more than simply seeking to recover some supposedly authentic version of the medieval past, we will also ask what exactly it means to ‘perform the medieval’ in a contemporary context. In other words, we shall push beyond the usual activity of scholarly ‘reconstruction’ (however responsible) to consider what is involved in any attempt to ‘get medieval’—in this case to engage with an early English dramatic inheritance. Ultimately, we shall look to produce re-stagings of the medieval that are authoritative in their textual and historical precision, yet open to the creative influences of both past and present.

Grading Policy

Grading will be determined by performance on two open-topic essays (approx. 75% of course grade), one with a significant research component. We will build toward these projects with explicit in-class work (e.g. topic development, drafting, revision). The remaining portion of the course grade (approx. 25%) will be determined by quality of in-class performance—day-to-day reading preparation, active engagement, peer feedback, on-time attendance, etc.

Regular Attendance is required, and crucial to success: repeated absences (or chronic tardiness) will lower your grade substantially.

Texts

Theoretical/critical readings: Habermas, Bakhtin, Scarry, Brecht, Foucault, Dinshaw, Biddick, and others. There will also be some primary source readings.

There will be selections from the following texts: Mandel (trans.), Five Comedies of Medieval France; Aylett (trans.), Carnival Comedies by Hans Sachs ; Cawley (ed.), Everyman and Medieval Miracle Plays ; Barry Unsworth, Morality Play [a novel] Windeatt (ed.); The Book of Margary Kempe ; The Examination of William Thorpe; The Croxton Play of the Sacrament

back

bottom border