E 325 • Creative Writing: Poetry
3:30 PM-5:00 PM
This course will be conducted along the lines of a workshop, with emphasis on developing abilities in writing, revising, and analyzing poetry.
When your poems are to be discussed in class, provide two copies for everyone; one will be annotated (and signed) by others and handed back to you; the second copy you should keep for your own reference.
There will be no exams, but there may be written quizzes on assigned readings (including vocabulary), and memorization of poems.
Your final portfolio (due date TBA) should contain:
(1) At least seven substantial poems written this semester.
(2) The final version of each poem, along with ALL earlier drafts of each poem. If you write only on the computer, print out your drafts now and then before going on to the next one.
(3) All assignments from Writing Poems, so be sure to save these.
(4) All exercises written in class (reworked and typed up at home).
(5) Copies of all annotated copies of your work that you have received back from others in the class. Sign comment sheets you prepare for others.
Attendance and class participation 25%
Your grade may be affected if you have more than three unexcused absences.
Writing Poems (Wallace & Broissart)