Skip Navigation
UT wordmark
College of Liberal Arts wordmark
frenchitalian masthead frenchitalian masthead
David Birdsong, Chair 201 W 21ST STREET STOP B7600, HRH 2.114A, AUSTIN, TX 78712 • 512-471-5531

Spring 2005

ITC 349 • DANTE - W

Unique Days Time Location Instructor
34360 TTh
2:00 PM-3:30 PM
HRH 3.102A
RAFFA

Course Description

The Divine Comedy offers a remarkable panorama of the late Middle Ages through one man's poetic vision of the afterlife. However, we continue to read and study the poem not only to learn about the thought and culture of medieval and early modern Europe but also because many of the issues confronting Dante and his age are no less important to individuals and societies today. Personal and civic responsibilities, governmental accountability, church-state relations, economics and social justice, the tenuous balance between freedom of expression and censorship--these are some of the themes that will frame our discussion of the Divine Comedy. Although you will read the poem in English, a bilingual edition will enable you to study and learn famous lines in the original Italian. The course is taught in English. Danteworlds (http://danteworlds.laits.utexas.edu/): You are expected to use this multimedia website, created specifically for the course, to prepare for class and review for quizzes.

Grading Policy

Three 6-page essays (50%) and five in-class quizzes (25%) will determine 75% of your final grade. Regular attendance and informed participation in class discussions will account for the remaining 25% of your grade (no student who misses more than 6 classes [three weeks] for any reason can complete the course with a passing grade). Final Exam: No

Texts

Required: Inferno, Purgatorio, and Paradiso (Trans. Allen Mandelbaum) Vita Nuova (Trans. Barbara Reynolds) On Reserve (PCL): A New Life of Dante (Bemrose) Foundation Sacrifice in Dante's "Commedia" (Quinones) The Undivine "Comedy" (Barolini) The Cambridge Companion to Dante (Jacoff, ed.) Dante: The Poetics of Conversion (Freccero) Divine Dialectic (Raffa)

back

bottom border