Honors ProgramMajors who plan to seek special honors may apply to the honors adviser for admission to the honors program during the semester in which they will complete sixty semester hours of coursework. To enter the program, a student must have completed at least sixty semester hours of coursework, including twelve hours of upper-division coursework in French. These twelve hours must include one course numbered 330 or above. A University grade point average of at least 3.00 and a grade point average in French of at least 3.50 are also required for admission.
The requirements for graduation with special honors are:
- French 379H, Honors Tutorial Course, with a grade of at least B;
- in addition to 379H, twenty-four semester hours of upper-division coursework, including French 320E, 322E 326K, and 326L; 340C, 340P, or 340T; and six semester hours in French courses numbered 350 or above;
- satisfactory performance on an honors examination;
- a University grade point average of at least 3.00 and a grade point average in French of at least 3.50; and
- completion at the University of at least sixty semester hours of coursework counted toward the degree.
Pi Delta Phi National French Honors Society
471-9242, HRH 4.132
The Department is a member of the Pi Delta Phi National French Honor Society. The society was formed to acknowledge superior scholastic performance in the field of French language, literature, and culture. It encourages a greater interest in and a deeper understanding of French culture, art, and history.
Students majoring in French or with a French concentration, who distinguish themselves for their outstanding performance in French are eligible for induction into the honor society at the end of their undergraduate career. The chapter advisor at the University of Texas is Beatriz Schleppe.