Niti Bhushan Mishra
— MS, Asian Institute of Technology, Thailand
- E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone: 512-232-1597
- Office: SAC 4.160
- Office Hours: Spring 2014: T/TH 11:30-12:30
Niti is a PhD candidate in the Department of Geography and Environment, The University of Texas at Austin. His research interests are in characterizing, monitoring and evaluating Land-use and Land-cover (LULC) dynamics and human environment interactions that cause LULC changes.
His ongoing PhD dissertation in the central Kalahari of Botswana aims to understand ecosystem structure, function and carbon dynamics in semi-arid savanna systems by characterizing fractional Land-cover and examining its spatio-temporal association with land-use and disturbance regimes. His dissertation research is supported by National Science Foundation: Doctoral Desertation Improvement Grant and the William Powers Jr. Graduate Fellowship. Check out some of his field research photos and more on flickr!
GRG 310C • Spatial Data And Analysis
TTH 930am-1100am PAR 306
This is an entry level course that will prepare the student for higher level courses in geographic methods and techniques. The course content consists of a series of modules designed to cover topics common to courses in Cartography, Geographic Information Science, Field Techniques, and Remote Sensing of the Environment.
We will examine quantitative and qualitative methods of sampling, representing, classifying, and analyzing geographic phenomena. We will examine conceptions of temporal and spatial scale, location, distance and direction, and examine a broad range of geographic research methods. Specific topics will include earth shape, gravitational and magnetic fields, map projections, coordinate systems, surveying and navigation, measurements and errors, spatial statistics, and spatial analysis.
Classes will consist of lectures and discussions of the readings. Students will complete six exercises and three examinations.
- Mishra, N. B., Crews, K. A., and Neuenschwander, A.L. (2012), ‘Sensitivity of EVI-based Harmonic Regression to Temporal Resolution in the Lower Okavango Delta’ in International Journal of Remote Sensing, 33:24, 7703-7726
- Mishra, N. B. and Crews, K. A., ‘Mapping Vegetation Morphology type in Semi-arid Central Kalahari: Integrating Hierarchical Object Based Image Analysis with Random Forest’ in International Journal of Remote Sensing (DOI: 10.1080/01431161.2013.876120)
- Mishra, N. B. and Crews, K. A.,‘Estimating fractional land cover in semi-arid central Kalahari: The impact of mapping method (spectral unmixing versus object based image analysis) and vegetation morphology’ in Geocarto International (DOI: 10.1080/10106049.2013.868041)
- Mishra, N. B., (forthcoming May, 2014 publication), ‘Remote Sensing of Wetlands’, invited encyclopedia entry in Encyclopedia of Natural Resources (Ed Y.Q. Wang), Taylor and Francis (6090 words) (DOI: 10.1080/E-ENRL-120049156)
- Mishra, N. B. and Young, K. R., (forthcoming May, 2014 publication), ‘Savannas and Grasslands’, invited encyclopedia entry in Encyclopedia of Natural Resources (Ed Y.Q. Wang), Taylor and Francis. (6241 words) (DOI: 10.1080/E-ENRL-120047446)
- Mishra, N. B., Crews, K. A. and Okin, G. S., ‘Relating Spatial Pattern of Fractional Land Cover to Savanna Vegetation Morphology using Multi-scale Remote Sensing in the Central Kalahari’ in International Journal of Remote Sensing (DOI: 10.1080/01431161.2014.885666
- Mishra, N. B. and Crews, K. A., ‘Upscaling vegetation morphological characteristics in Savanna systems using multi-scale satellite data’ (to be submitted to Remote Sensing of Environment)
- Mishra, N. B. and Crews, K. A., ‘Sensitivity of EVI based Harmonic Regression to Temporal Compositioning of MODIS time-series: A Global Scale Comparative Analysis in different Ecosystems’ (to be submitted to Remote Sensing of Environment)
- Mishra, N. B. and Chaudhuri, G., ‘Mapping two decades of urbanization using spectral unmixing of Landsat TM in the Kolkata Metropolitan area, India’ (to be submitted to Photogrammetric Engineering and Remote Sensing)
- Mishra, N. B., ‘Detailed mapping of land cover land use pattern in a Himalayan watershed using object based image analysis of World View-2 imagery’ (to be submitted to International Journal of Remote Sensing)
- Mishra, N. B., ‘An object based image analysis approach for estimating forest biomass using multi-scale remote sensing in a Himalayan watershed’ (to be submitted to International Journal of Applied Earth Observation and Geoinformation)