Niti Bhushan Mishra
— PhD, University of Texas
Recently Graduated- Doctorate
- E-mail: niti at mail dot utexas dot edu
- Phone: 512-232-1597
- Office: SAC 4.160
- Office Hours: Spring 2014: T/TH 11:30-12:30
GRG 310C • Spatial Data And Analysis
TTH 930am-1100am PAR 306
This is an entry level course that will prepare the student for higher level courses in geographic methods and techniques. The course content consists of a series of modules designed to cover topics common to courses in Cartography, Geographic Information Science, Field Techniques, and Remote Sensing of the Environment.
We will examine quantitative and qualitative methods of sampling, representing, classifying, and analyzing geographic phenomena. We will examine conceptions of temporal and spatial scale, location, distance and direction, and examine a broad range of geographic research methods. Specific topics will include earth shape, gravitational and magnetic fields, map projections, coordinate systems, surveying and navigation, measurements and errors, spatial statistics, and spatial analysis.
Classes will consist of lectures and discussions of the readings. Students will complete six exercises and three examinations.
- Mishra, N. B., Crews, K. A., and Neuenschwander, A.L. (2012), ‘Sensitivity of EVI-based Harmonic Regression to Temporal Resolution in the Lower Okavango Delta’ in International Journal of Remote Sensing, 33:24, 7703-7726
- Mishra, N. B. and Crews, K. A., ‘Mapping Vegetation Morphology type in Semi-arid Central Kalahari: Integrating Hierarchical Object Based Image Analysis with Random Forest’ in International Journal of Remote Sensing (DOI: 10.1080/01431161.2013.876120)
- Mishra, N. B. and Crews, K. A.,‘Estimating fractional land cover in semi-arid central Kalahari: The impact of mapping method (spectral unmixing versus object based image analysis) and vegetation morphology’ in Geocarto International (DOI: 10.1080/10106049.2013.868041)
- Mishra, N. B., (forthcoming May, 2014 publication), ‘Remote Sensing of Wetlands’, invited encyclopedia entry in Encyclopedia of Natural Resources (Ed Y.Q. Wang), Taylor and Francis (6090 words) (DOI: 10.1080/E-ENRL-120049156)
- Mishra, N. B. and Young, K. R., (forthcoming May, 2014 publication), ‘Savannas and Grasslands’, invited encyclopedia entry in Encyclopedia of Natural Resources (Ed Y.Q. Wang), Taylor and Francis. (6241 words) (DOI: 10.1080/E-ENRL-120047446)
- Mishra, N. B., Crews, K. A. and Okin, G. S., ‘Relating Spatial Pattern of Fractional Land Cover to Savanna Vegetation Morphology using Multi-scale Remote Sensing in the Central Kalahari’ in International Journal of Remote Sensing (DOI: 10.1080/01431161.2014.885666