Cultural Geography deals with aspects of human geography related to cultural origins and dispersals, cultural ecology, perception and sense of place, cultural landscapes and landscape change. The focus is upon both the spatial attributes of culture and the interactions between culture and environment.
Students selecting this track must take at least one of the following:
- GRG 309 (when topic is appropriate)
- GRG 331K Cultural Ecology
- GRG 336 Contemporary Cultural Geography
- GRG 346 The Human Use of the Earth
- GRG 351 Oxford Summer Study II: Nature and Society
Students must also take six additional semester hours of coursework from the above or following lists to complete the track:
- GRG 319 Geography of Latin America
- GRG 320K Land and Life: The American Southwest
- GRG 323K Geography of South America
- GRG 324 Cultural Geography of North America
- GRG 325 Geography of Texas
- GRG 326 Regions and Cultures of Europe
- GRG 327 Geography of Former Soviet Union
- GRG 328 Geography of the Middle East
- GRG 331 Geography of Asia
- GRG 341K Geography of Mexico and Caribbean America
- GRG 347K Spanish Background of Hispanic America
- GRG 348C Geography of South Asia
- GRG 356T (when topic is appropriate)
- GRG 358 Cities in Developing Countries
- GRG 358E Geography and Religion
Note: Students in the Cultural Geography track are urged to consider their eligibility for GRG 679HA/HB (Honors course), which can be used to meet track requirements when pursued under the guidance of an appropriate faculty member.
Note: In addition to the above, all geography majors must also complete the core requirements in Human Geography, Physical Geography, and Techniques.
Minors for Cultural Geography
The most popular and appropriate minors for students in the Cultural Geography track are history and anthropology, with biology and geology also being appropriate minors for students pursuing interests in culture and environment issues. Students minoring in geology should see the recommended list of courses in this field under the Earth Science track.