CANCELED Magne Ove Varsi - visiting lecturer
Mon, April 19, 2010 • 3:00 PM - 4:30 PM • Burdine 337 Conference Room
Founder and Director of the Gáldu Resource Centre for the Rights of Indigenous Peoples in Kautokeino, Norway
PLEASE NOTE THAT THIS EVENT HAS BEEN CANCELED DUE TO THE VOLCANIC ERRUPTIONS IN ICELAND THAT HAVE CAUSED THE GROUNDING OR DELAYING OF MOST FLIGHTS FROM NORTH EUROPE FOR THE FORSEEABLE FUTURE. AT THIS TIME THERE ARE NO PLANS TO RESCHEDULE THIS LECTURE OR MR. VARSI'S VISIT. PLEASE CONTINUE TO VISIT OUR CALENDAR FOR EVENT UPDATES.
THE DEPARTMENT OF GERMANIC STUDIES
Magne Ove Varsi is a Sami rights pioneer and Founder/Director of the Gáldu Resource Centre for the Rights of Indigenous Peoples in Kautokeino, Norway (www.galdu.org). Galdu was established by an order of the Norwegian government. The resource centre was created to increase information about the rights of Sami and other indigenous peoples. The Centre is independent, governed by its own board and is funded by the Norwegian Ministry of Labour and Social Inclusions and by the Norwegian Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
Mr. Varsi’s diverse career also includes:
• lecturer in journalism at the Sámi University College
• news editor for SVT Sápmi in connection with the establishment and joint Nordic Sámi TV news on SVT2, NRK 1 and YLE
• president of the Sámi Journalisstaid Seari (Sámi Journalists Association) 1998-2001
• and many other journalistic and international activities
His lecture topics will cover the following:
• Sami self-determination
• Territories, lands, and natural resources
• Indigenous intellectual property rights
Please contact Dr. John Weinstock at email@example.com for more information about this event.