Skip Navigation
UT wordmark
College of Liberal Arts wordmark
government masthead
Robert G. Moser, Chair BAT 2.116, Mailcode A1800, Austin, TX 78712 • 512-471-5121

Fall 2005

GOV 390L • Nationalism and Citizenship

Unique Days Time Location Instructor
37965 T
3:30 PM-6:30 PM
BUR 436A
Hooker

Course Description

Consent of the Graduate Adviser must be obtained. Graduate standing required. Course number may be repeated for credit when the topics vary. This course will explore the association between the modern mass-democratic constitutional state and nationalism from the vantage point of political theory. It is principally concerned with debates in democratic theory about nationality as a source of political solidarity, and contemporary reformulations of the concept of citizenship in light of racial and cultural diversity. We will analyze the work of canonical and contemporary political theorists that have variously defended minority group rights, embraced nationalism's potential for fostering civic solidarity, and advocated cosmopolitanism or post-national citizenship. The focus of the course will be on debates about how to rethink citizenship in contemporary liberal democracies in light of important empirical developments, for instance: greater racial and cultural diversity due to transnational migration and immigration, challenges to the nation-state from above and below by movements towards regional integration and minority demands for self-government respectively, and the disarticulation between the categories of national and citizen embodied by stateless people such as political refugees, migrant workers, and illegal aliens.

Grading Policy

Final grades will be assessed based on three critical response essays (10% each for a total of 30%), a final research paper (40%), in-class presentation (15%), and class participation (15%).

Texts

Will Kymlicka, Multicultural Citizenship. David Miller, On Nationality. Benedict Anderson, Imagined Communities. Ernest Gellner, Nations and Nationalism. Rogers Brubaker, Citizenship and Nationhood in France and Germany. Yasemin Soysal, The Limits of Citizenship. Melissa Williams, Voice, Trust, and Memory. Kwame Anthony Appiah, The Ethics of Identity. Rogers Smith, Civic Ideals. Nancy Fraser, Justice Interruptus. Seyla Benhabib, The Claims of Culture.

back

bottom border