Hist. Science Colloq.: "From the Dissertation to the Book: Publishing a History of Einstein's Relativity"
Fri, October 16, 2009 • 12:00 PM - 2:00 PM • GAR 1.102
The UT History of Science Colloquium presents a talk by Dr. Al Martínez, assistant professor of History at the University of Texas at Austin, entitled "From the Dissertation to the Book: Publishing a History of Einstein's Relativity".
Professor Martínez will discuss the process that produced his new book: Kinematics: The Lost Origins of Einstein's Relativity. The presentation will cover:
- selecting and developing publishable material from the dissertation,
- how to contact publishers,
- responding to anonymous reviewers,
- interacting with editors, contract negotiations,
- finishing the manuscript, copyediting, jacket artwork, and promotion.
"Writing and publishing this book was a war," Martínez comments, "but by discussing the difficulties in the process I hope that it helps us not to repeat my mistakes. Academic publishing is becoming increasingly challenging, but the rewards are well worthwhile."