Undergraduate Program Degree Requirements
To earn a degree in the College of Liberal Arts a student must take general education courses (language arts, behavioral and social sciences, natural sciences, and general culture) as outlined on the College degree requirements web page.
History Major Requirements
30 semester hours of history including at least 15 hours of upper-division coursework and 18 hours in residence:
- 6 hours of coursework must be in U.S. history (also counts toward University of Texas core requirements)
- 12 hours of non-U.S. history (at least 3 hours must be upper-division) including
- 6 hours European (e.g., Russian, Greek, Roman, Western Civilization)
- 6 hours African, Asian, Latin American or Middle Eastern
- 9 hours of additional history
- 3 hours in HIS 350L or HIS 350R seminar course (generally not offered in summer)
12 semester hours of coursework in an approved area including 6 hours of upper-division coursework and 6 hours in residence. You may choose a minor from virtually any department or program in the university.
For course requirements for teacher certification in History, see UTeach-Liberal Arts advisor:
Eric Bowles, GEB 1.308, phone: 512-232-3480.
History major sample 4-year plan, 2010-12 (PDF, 156K)
History major with honors sample 4-year plan, 2010-12 (PDF, 193K)
History major blank 4-year plan for student use, 2010-12 (PDF, 141K)
History degree plan, 2010-12 (PDF, 319K)