Spring Break in Morocco 2012
a program for K-12 educators
March 8-18, 2012
The Center for Middle Eastern Studies at the University of Texas at Austin will conduct a ten-day tour of Morocco over spring break 2012 designed especially for K-12 educators.
This tour will include visits to Rabat, the contemporary sea-side capital of the Kingdom of Morocco; the imperial cities of Meknés, Fez, and Marrakech; a visit to the sand dunes of near Erfoud on the edge of the Sahara; a tour of Morocco's Hollywood, Ouarzazate; a visit to the ancient Berber fortress of Ait-Ben-Haddou; and Essaouira, the Portuguese-built fort city on the Atlantic.
You will be accompanied by an academic representative from the University of Texas, who will help you process the experience for your classroom, along with a fully qualified English speaking-guide. Space is limited, and preference will be given to those who teach world cultures, history, and geography; curriculum specialists, library/media specialists, or others in support roles for world studies teachers.
The Center for Middle Eastern Studies is a licensed provider of Continuing Education Units (CEUs) by the State Board of Educator Certification, and will award professional development hours for the program.
The per-person land cost for this program is $1,825. This includes:
- Local transportation
- Double accommodations within Morocco
- Breakfast and dinner daily
- Tour guide fees and gratuities
- Site entry fees
The fee does not include:
- Air Fare (group airfare will be booked by our travel agency and is estimated at $1,300 from Dallas/Houston; our travel agent will make arrangements to/from your preferred airport of departure.)
- Passport and visa fees
- Independent travel, transportation, sightseeing or meals outside of group activities.
- Spending money for souvenirs, personal purchases, telecommunications and Intetnet, etc.
- Health insurance, pre-departure check-ups and inoculations
- Travel insurance (highly recommended)
ALL Participants should be educators in a K-12 institution, ideally teaching world studies or other subjects related to Morocco or North Africa (curriculum specialists, library/media specialists, and instructional aids are welcome). We cannot accept children under 18 due to insurance and liability reasons. Participants may bring a non-teaching travel companion.
Reservations and a non-refundable deposit of $500 are due by December 31, with the balance due by January 8 (60 days prior to departure). Please note that we may stop taking reservations sooner if the program fills up.