Skip Navigation
UT wordmark
College of Liberal Arts wordmark
mes masthead
Kamran Scot Aghaie, Chair CAL 528 | 204 W 21st St F9400 | Austin, TX 78712-1029 • 512-471-3881

Fall 2006

MES 322K • Gender Politics in the Islamic World

Unique Days Time Location Instructor
42855 MW
12:00 PM-1:30 PM
BUR 214
M CHARRAD

Course Description

The course is designed to help students gain a better knowledge of the Islamic world and, at the same time, increase their understanding of major sociological concepts such as gender, social organization, culture, and state. The course is devoted to the study of gender politics in the Islamic world. It shows how culture is mediated by politics, resulting in diverse interpretations of the cultural tradition and in different policies with respect to gender. We start by examining the themes and issues that are part of the common denominator of the Islamic tradition. We then consider how the diversity can be explained and what factors contribute to it. The focus is on women's rights, which have been a key political issue in several countries and internationally.

Grading Policy

Course Requirements include a research paper (12 p), a report (4 p) and 2 positions paper (6 p). 70% of the grade is determined by writing, which leaves 30% by presentation and class participation.

Texts

S. Joseph and S. Slyomovics, ed. Women and Power in the Middle East (WP) E.W. Fernea, In Search of Islamic Feminism (SIF) S. Joseph, ed., Gender and Citizenship in the Middle East. (GC) Photocopied articles available at Paradigm.

back

bottom border