Requirements for Academic Employees
- Any incoming student working as a TA, AI, or GRA, must present the following identification to the Graduate Coordinator. In addition to needing these for the purposes of processing student appointments and fellowships, the university runs background checks on all student employees:
- Valid passport, or…
- Social security card AND valid driver's license
- Your Graduate Coordinator will need this identification to complete your I-9 Employment Authorization and Background Check, which is the first step in creating your appointment. Please see the Grad Coordinator as soon as you arrive in Austin so we can push this paperwork through.
- You will not be able to receive payment until you complete your Paycheck Profile, Bank Info, and W2 through your Finances page. Also visit Payroll Services for valuable information.
- All academic employees are required to do their online compliance training through Human Resources before your appointment can be approved.
- Follow the steps oulined on the New Student Employee Checklist.
- Review information about the faculty/staff level medical insurance you will receive. This comes at no cost to the student and you are automatically enrolled in the medical insurance plan with Blue Cross Blue Shield. However, if you wish to add dental and/or vision coverage, or dependents like a spouse or child, you must submit this form to Human Resources within the first 30 days of employment (by Sept. 30, 2013). You may fax it to the number at the bottom of the form or walk it over to Human Resources in person. If you add this coverage, it comes out of your monthly paycheck:
- Dental Option 1: ~$30/month for Delta Dental (most comprehensive)
- Dental Option 2: ~$10/month for Assurant Dental (
- Vision: ~$10/month
Sample Tuition Bill for Fall 2013:
$8,016 = 9 credit hours of non-resident tuition
-$3,972 = Value of tuition waiver after it is claimed online by the student each semester
-$3,784 = Tuition Reduction Benefit
$260 = Amount due no later than 5 PM on Sept. 3rd, the fourth class day
This process repeats each semester of employment.
**International students must additionally claim their insurance waiver to remove that charge from the tuition bill.**