Requirements for Admission
The Philosophy program admits new students only in the fall; we do not have spring admission.
In assessing candidates for the graduate program, we consider a variety of factors, including GRE scores, grades in undergraduate and any previous graduate coursework, letters of recommendation, writing samples, and written statements. Admission to our program is highly competitive. Only about one applicant in fifteen is admitted. The median GRE score (verbal + quantitative) for admitted applicants for fall 2014 was 329 (using the newest scoring method effective fall 2011); the median GPA, 3.86.
You do not need to have majored in philosophy in order to be admitted, but successful applicants typically have an undergraduate degree in philosophy, or a compararble level of preparation. You should have had some coursework in philosophy, preferably, in logic and in the history of philosophy.
Visit the My Status website to check on the status of your application to our program. Information will be updated regularly.
Admission Application Deadline is January 1, 2015
Submit the application materials by January 1 to the Graduate and International Admissions Center:
- Application (online) The University of Texas asks that you apply electronically. The online application includes the statement of purpose and electronic letters of reference.
- Three letters of reference (from teachers who know your work in philosophy or a related field). Letters of recommendation MUST be requested and submitted ONLINE. This is a part of the online application.
- Transcripts You must upload one copy of the official academic transcript from every senior college you have attended. Transcripts are not required from junior colleges and community colleges. information sheet on uploading transcripts.
- Official GRE scores must be reported by ETS (The Educational Testing Agency) and sent to the Graduate and International Admissions Center. (ETS code for the University of Texas at Austin is 6882).
- Writing Sample, a sample of written work in philosophy, such as a brief term paper, roughly 4,000 to 6,000 words in length. After you have completed the online application you can upload your writing sample via the My Status website.
- International applicants will be required to submit official TOEFL or IELTS scores. The report is submitted by the testing agency to the Graduate and International Admissions Office. See their web site for further instructions.
The University of Texas at Austin
P.O. Box 7608
Austin, TX 78713-7608
Financial Aid (optional)
The application for financial aid is a section on the application for admission. However, many of our admitted students receive financial aid in the form of assistantships. Teaching Assistants and Assistant Intructors in Philosophy earn a monthly stipend for nine months, pay tuition at the lower rate applicable to Texas residents, receive tuition assistance, they receive health insurance, and their dependents are eligible for health insurance benefits. If an applicant is admitted with financial aid, the department tries to continue aid for 6 years, provided they remain in good standing and meet minimum requirements.
Typically TAs with a Bachelor's degree earn a monthly stipend of $1,491; TAs holding an MA earn $1,642 per month, and AIs earn $1,857 per month for nine months.
In-state tuition for a graduate student taking a normal courseload of nine hours will total approximately $4,044 per semester. AIs, TAs, and Readers receive the in-state tuition rate plus tuition assistance of $3,784 per semester, a special stipend to partially offset tuition offered by the Graduate School. Students who meet certain criteria of personal and family financial need are eligible for various other awards administered directly by the University-wide Student Financial Aid Office-scholarships, long- term loans, and work-study awards.
We also award a modest number of competitive fellowships. In both cases, tuition and medical benefits are covered. Students also receive additional stipends for study, research, and academic travel; a limited number of summer assistantships are also available.