PSY 341k • Intro to Cognitive Science
11:00 AM-12:30 PM
PRIOR TO THE FIRST DAY OF CLASS, RESTRICTED TO PSYCHOLOGY MAJORS. We will study contemporary views of how the mind works, how we reason, and how thought processes are reflected in the language we use. Central to the course will be the modern computational theory of mind, the embodiment of that theory in a few pounds of grey meat, and what we know about how that lump of meat processes language, thinks thoughts, and develops consciousness. As a special topic, we will look at the controversial and oft mis-reported literature on gender differences in brain and language.
All these topics are central to the inter-disciplinary field of Cognitive Science, an area in which UT boasts enormous strength.The course will be led by the current director of Cognitive Science at UT, and incorporate presentations and small panel discussions from faculty across Computer Science, Linguistics, Neuroscience, Philosophy, and Psychology.
Weekly assignments: (short answer questions and brief reactions to readings/presentations): 40% Exams: Exams will consist of essay, short-answer and multiple-choice questions. Mid-Term Exam 25% Final 35% Total 60%