Research Assistant Professor — Ph.D., The University of Texas at Austin
Research Assistant Professor / Biostatistician
- E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Jason Shumake received his doctorate in psychology from the University of Texas in 2004, with a concentration in behavioral neuroscience and a supporting portfolio in statistics and computational modeling, and he completed his postdoctoral fellowship at the Leibniz Institute for Neurobiology in Magdeburg, Germany, in 2007. Dr. Shumake's primary research interest is building models from longitudinal data sets to classify and predict behavior and responses to interventions. He is excited by the advancement of personalized medicine through data science, which he believes is critical for translating prediction research into individualized treatment recommendations. He is particularly interested in using statistical and machine learning algorithms to search for novel combinations of genetic, neural, and behavioral features that predict treatment response. His current projects involve mining anatomical and functional brain imaging data, eye tracking data, and psychometric data from depressed individuals to predict longitudinal mood changes that occur both naturalistically and in response to antidepressant medication and cognitive therapy.
- Shumake J, Poremba A, Edwards E, and Gonzalez-Lima F. Congenital helpless rats as a genetic model for cortex metabolism in depression. NeuroReport, 11: 3793-3798, 2000.
- Shumake J, Edwards E, and Gonzalez-Lima F. Hypermetabolism of paraventricular hypothalamus in the congenitally helpless rat. Neuroscience Letters, 311: 45-48, 2001.
- Shumake J, Edwards E, and Gonzalez-Lima F. Dissociation of septo-hippocampal metabolism in the congenitally helpless rat. Neuroscience, 114: 373-377, 2002.
- Shumake J, Edwards E, and Gonzalez-Lima F. Opposite metabolic changes in the habenula and ventral tegmental area of a genetic model of helpless behavior. Brain Research, 963: 274-281, 2003.
- Barrett D, Shumake J, Jones D, Gonzalez-Lima F. Metabolic mapping of mouse brain activity after extinction of a conditioned emotional response. Journal of Neuroscience, 23: 5740-5749, 2003.
- Shumake J and Gonzalez-Lima F. Brain systems underlying susceptibility to helplessness and depression. Behavioral and Cognitive Neuroscience Reviews, 3: 198-221, 2003.
- Shumake J, Conejo-Jimenez N, Gonzalez-Pardo H, and Gonzalez-Lima F. Brain differences in newborn rats predisposed to helpless and depressive behavior. Brain Research, 1030: 267-276, 2004.
- Shumake J, Barrett D, and Gonzalez-Lima F. Behavioral characteristics of rats predisposed to learned helplessness: reduced reward sensitivity, increased novelty seeking, and persistent fear memories. Behavioural Brain Research, 164: 222-230, 2005.
- Colorado RA, Shumake J, Conejo-Jimenez NM, Gonzalez-Pardo H, Gonzalez-Lima F. Effects of maternal separation, early handling, and standard facility rearing on orienting and impulsive behavior of adolescent rats. Behavioural Processes, 71: 51-58, 2006.
- O’Reilly KC, Shumake J, Gonzalez-Lima F, Lane MA, Bailey SJ. Chronic administration of 13-cis-retinoic acid increases depression-related behavior in mice. Neuropsychopharmacology, 31: 1919-1927, 2006.
- Wrubel KM, Barrett D, Shumake J, Johnson SE, Gonzalez-Lima F. Methylene blue facilitates the extinction of fear in an animal model of susceptibility to learned helplessness. Neurobiology of Learning and Memory, 87: 209-217, 2007.
- Bruchey AK, Shumake J, Gonzalez-Lima F. Network model of fear extinction and renewal functional pathways. Neuroscience, 145: 423-437, 2007.
- Spivey JM, Shumake J, Colorado RA, Conejo-Jimenez N, Gonzalez-Pardo H, Gonzalez-Lima F. Adolescent female rats are more resistant than males to the effects of early stress on prefrontal cortex and impulsive behavior. Developmental Psychobiology, 51: 277-288, 2009.
- O'Reilly KC, Shumake J, Bailey SJ, Gonzalez-Lima F, Lane MA. Chronic 13-cis-retinoic acid administration disrupts network interactions between the raphe nuclei and the hippocampal system in young adult mice. European Journal of Pharmacology, 605: 68-77, 2009.
- Padilla E, Barrett D, Shumake J, Gonzalez-Lima F. Strain, sex, and open-field behavior: Factors underlying the genetic susceptibility to helplessness. Behavioural Brain Research, 201: 257-264, 2009.
- Hamani C, Diwan M, Macedo CE, Brandão ML, Shumake J, Gonzalez-Lima F, Raymond R, Lozano AM, Fletcher PJ, Nobrega JN. Antidepressant-like effects of medial prefrontal cortex deep brain stimulation in rats. Biological Psychiatry, 67: 117-124, 2010.
- Shumake J, Ilango A, Scheich H, Wetzel W, Ohl FW. Differential neuromodulation of acquisition and retrieval of avoidance learning by the lateral habenula and ventral tegmental area. Journal of Neuroscience, 30: 5876-83, 2010.
- Shumake J, Colorado RA, Barrett DW, Gonzalez-Lima F. Metabolic mapping of the effects of the antidepressant fluoxetine on the brains of congenitally helpless rats. Brain Research, 1343: 218-225, 2010.
- Padilla E, Shumake J, Barrett D, Gonzalez-Lima F. Novelty-evoked activity in open field predicts susceptibility to helpless behavior. Physiology and Behavior, 101: 746-754, 2010.
- Spivey JM, Padilla E, Shumake J, Gonzalez-Lima F. Effects of maternal separation, early handling, and gonadal sex on regional metabolic capacity of the preweanling rat brain. Brain Research, 1367: 198-206, 2011.
- Padilla E, Shumake J, Barrett DW, Sheridan EC, Gonzalez-Lima F. Mesolimbic effects of the antidepressant fluoxetine in Holtzman rats, a genetic strain with increased vulnerability to stress. Brain Research, 1387: 71-84, 2011.
- Ilango A, Shumake J, Wetzel W, Scheich H, Ohl FW. Effects of ventral tegmental area stimulation on the acquisition and long-term retention of active avoidance learning. Behavioural Brain Research, 225: 515-21, 2011.
- Ilango A, Shumake J, Wetzel W, Scheich H, Ohl FW. The role of dopamine in the context of aversive stimuli with particular reference to acoustically signaled avoidance learning. Frontiers in Neuroscience, 6:132, 2012.
- Ilango A, Shumake J, Wetzel W, Scheich H, Ohl FW. Electrical stimulation of lateral habenula during learning: Frequency-dependent effects on acquisition but not retrieval of a two-way active avoidance response. PLOS ONE, 8: e65684, 2013.
- Shumake J, Gonzalez-Lima F. Functional opposition between habenula metabolism and the brain reward system. Frontiers in Human Neuroscience, 7:662, 2013.
- Shumake J, Barrett DW, Lane MA, Wittke AJ. Behavioral effects of bovine lactoferrin administration during postnatal development of rats. BioMetals, 27: 1039-55, 2014.
- Shumake J, Furgeson-Moreira S, Monfils MH. Predictability and heritability of individual differences in fear learning. Animal Cognition, 17:1207-21, 2014.
- Olshavsky ME, Shumake J, Rosenthal AA, Kaddour-Djebbar A, Gonzalez-Lima F, Setlow B, Lee HJ. Impulsivity, risk-taking, and distractibility in rats exhibiting robust conditioned orienting behaviors. Journal of the Experimental Analysis of Behavior, 102: 162-178, 2014.
- Ilango A, Shumake J, Wetzel W, Ohl FW. Contribution of emotional and motivational neurocircuitry to cue-signaled active avoidance learning. Frontiers in Behavioral Neuroscience, 8: 372, 2014.
- Gonzales E, Barrett DW, Shumake J, Gonzalez-Lima F, Lane MA. Omega-3 fatty acids improve behavioral coping to stress in multiparous rats. Behavioural Brain Research, 279: 129-138, 2015.