How to Apply to the Doctoral Program
The application deadline is December 1, 2013. All application materials are due by this date. In applying, you will be asked to choose an area of specialization and mentors within that area. The Clinical major code is 683501. For all other areas of specialization the major code is 683500.
HOW TO APPLY
Submit to the Graduate and International Admissions Center (GIAC):
- 1. The Texas Common Application Form found at this website: http://www.applytexas.org
- On the application materials you will be asked for the name of your proposed major and then asked for the specific area of interest or specialty within that major. At this point, indicate the area of psychology to which you are applying (e.g. Social and Personality, Developmental, Clinical, etc.) and the faculty within that area with whom you would like to work. Faculty members review the application materials of students who have expressed an interest in working with them. They tend to select students who are highly qualified on all admission criteria and who have expressed an interest in research that is congruent with their research programs. Thus your personal statement should emphasize your research interests and research experience.
2. An official transcript from each senior college that you have attended.
- Important information about transcripts: Do not mail transcripts. You must upload one copy of the official academic transcript from every senior college you have attended. Transcripts are not required from junior colleges and community colleges. See instructions for uploading the pdf of your transcript at http://www.utexas.edu/ogs/admissions/howtous.html
3. An official report of scores on the Graduate Record Examination (GRE) General Test (the Department does not require the GRE Psychology Subject Test.) UT's School Code is 6882.
4. $65 application fee ($90.00 International applicants)
5. A statement of purpose submitted online. To allow your recommenders adequate time to submit their recommendation, you can submit your application and then submit your online Statement of Purpose later. To submit your Statement of Purpose after you submit your application, return to ApplyTexas and click on the “Essay” tab.
6. Three (3) Letters of Recommendation: When you complete the "References" portion of the online application for admission, you will give the names and email addresses of those you have asked to recommend you. Be sure that the email address is current and accurate. You will be asked to inform us if you are going to waive the right to view your letters after they are submitted. Please indicate this by answering the associated question on the application for admission. We will send an e-mail message to the address you provide, once your application is submitted, and ask your recommender to visit a web site where they can complete a questionnaire and upload their recommendation letter. Your recommender will be informed if you have not waived your right to view his/her letter of recommendation. After you submit your application, you will be able to monitor the status of your pending requests for references through your online MyStatus page. If you have any additional questions, email email@example.com.
- 7. International students must submit a TOEFL score. Please review this website for information and frequently asked questions: http://www.utexas.edu/ogs/admissions/test_scores.html
8. CV: After you submit your application, you will receive an email with your UTEID. You can then upload your CV at https://utdirect.utexas.edu/ogs/forms/supp_docs.WBX
- All applications and required materials are submitted online. Please do not send hard copies of required application materials, including letters of recommendation, directly to Psychology or GIAC as this may delay completion of your application. Please do not send any additional materials with your application. We are unable to return original copies of documents sent to the department.
Contact Information for Graduate Admissions:
The following link will take you to the Graduate and International Admissions Center's webpage, where you will find instructions for submitting your application: