How to Apply to the Doctoral Program
The application deadline is December 1, 2014. Students applying for Fall 2015 must submit all admissions materials by December 1, 2014. In applying, you will be asked to choose an area of specialization and mentors within that area. You may only apply to one area. The Clinical major code is 683501. For all other areas of specialization the major code is 683500.
HOW TO APPLY: All materials are submitted online. Please do not send hard copies of required application materials. We are unable to return original copies of documents sent to the department.
Submit to the Graduate and International Admissions Center (GIAC):
- 1. The ApplyTexas Application: http://www.applytexas.org
- On the application materials you will be asked for the name of your proposed major and then asked for the specific area of interest or specialty within that major. At this point, indicate the area of psychology to which you are applying (e.g. Social and Personality, Developmental, Clinical, etc.) and the faculty within that area with whom you would like to work. Faculty members review the application materials of students who have expressed an interest in working with them.
2. Application Fee: $65 application fee ($90.00 International applicants).
3. Statement of Purpose: A statement of one to two pages in length outlining your resasons for pursuing the Ph.D. at The Universtiy of Texas at Austin should be submitted as part of your online application or uploaded as a separate document. Faculty select students who are highly qualified on all admission criteria and who have expressed an interest in research that is congruent with their research programs. Your personal statement should emphasize your research interests and research experience.
- 4. Three (3) Letters of Recommendation: When you complete the "References" portion of the online application for admission, you will give the names and email addresses of those you have asked to recommend you. Be sure that the email address is current and accurate. You will be asked to inform us if you are going to waive the right to view your letters after they are submitted. Please indicate this by answering the associated question on the application for admission.
- Within 24 hours of your application submission, an automatic e-mail message will be sent to your recommenders. Note: You must submit your application in order for your recommenders to receive their email. The e-mail will contain instructions and a secure link to the letter of recommendation website. After you submit your application, you will be able to monitor the status of your pending requests for references through your online MyStatus page. If you have any additional questions, email email@example.com.
- 5. Transcripts: Upload an official transcript from each senior college that you have attended. Important information about transcripts: Do not mail transcripts. You must upload one copy of the official academic transcript from every senior college you have attended. Transcripts are not required from junior colleges and community colleges. See instructions for uploading the pdf of your transcript at http://www.utexas.edu/ogs/admissions/howtous.html
- 6. GRE Scores: Official report of the General Test scores (the Department does not require the GRE Psychology Subject Test.) UT's School Code is 6882. Reports must be sent directly from The Educational Testing Service (ETS).
- 7. TOEFL Scores: International Students must submit the official report of TOEFL scores. Reports must be sent directly from The Educational Testing Service (ETS).
- 8. CV: After you submit your application, you will receive an email with your UTEID. You can then upload your CV at https://utdirect.utexas.edu/ogs/forms/supp_docs.WBX
The following link will take you to the Graduate and International Admissions Center's webpage, where you will find instructions for submitting your application: