How to Apply for Project GO
Sponsored by the Defense Language and National Security Education Office (DLNSEO)
Study Abroad Scholarships for ROTC Students of
*Arabic & Russian*
Project GO provides summer study abroad programs to UT and non-UT ROTC students in Batumi, Georgia and Meknes, Morocco
UT-Austin students new to a language should already be enrolled in an intensive Arabic or Russian language course for the Fall 2014 semester by the first day of classes (Aug. 27)
(If the class you want is full when registering, please contact the related department.
Space is being held for ROTC students in each class.)
Click HERE to enroll in the Project GO Program **UT Students Only Please**
If you are a non-UT ROTC Student interested in our programs in Georgia or Morocco for the summer of 2015 the application will open on November 1, 2014.
Project GO provides scholarships to ROTC students to study critical languages domestically and abroad via a network of 25 participating universities nationwide.
**Study abroad program & most travel costs are covered by Project GO**
(Non-program related expenses are not covered)
For more about Project GO, please visit their website at www.rotcprojectgo.org
- Students are expected to have taken the equivalent of four semesters (12 credits) of the same critical language to be eligible for the study abroad program.
- UT students can complete their language requirement in one year - students new to the language chosen, enroll in the Project GO Academic Year Program and take intensive (6-hour) language classes in the Fall and Spring semesters. They receive additional support from a graduate student mentor , which is paid for by the program.
- All eligible ROTC students (UT and non-UT) can apply to participate in a Project GO Summer Program abroad, consisting of 8-weeks in Georgia or Morocco, and includes language courses and a rich cultural program.
- Students gain proficiency in one of three State Department-defined “strategic” languages.
- Students new to the language should achieve a third-year equivalency by the end of the summer of participation.
Who is Eligible to Apply:
- Project GO programs are open to both contracted and non-contracted ROTC students with the intent and ability to commission.
- ROTC students on active duty or recently commissioned (not yet on active duty) may participate in domestic programs only.
- All participants must be US citizens.
- Students commissioning through OTC/OCS or the Service Academies are not eligible.
- Students commissioning or graduating prior to the start of a Project GO Study abroad program must delay both graduation and commissioning until after they return to the US. See your ROTC unit for advice.
For updates on eligibility criteria, please check http://www.rotcprojectgo.org
During the Academic Year, UT Students Must:
- Enroll in intensive language classes and maintain a “B” average to be eligible for the summer program
- Meet with an assigned tutor once a week, for one hour
- Attend at least 2 cultural events related to the language/culture of interest during the academic year
- Prepare for an all-expense paid 8-week overseas program in Russia or Morocco
- Take a language proficiency examination before and after the summer study abroad program
For more information about our program please contact:
Department of Middle Eastern Studies
Office: CAL 528F
Department of Slavic and Eurasian Studies
Office: BUR 452