RUS 360 • Major Works of Tolstoy-W
9:30 AM-11:00 AM
This course explores the works of Russia's great "seer of the flesh," Lev Nikolaevich Tolstoy, particularly his progression from idealizing family life and the Russian state to renouncing sexual love and national allegiances. Our focus will primarily rest on his shorter works, but for the sake of experiencing the reading of a long Russian classic and one that remains Tolstoys most popular novel, we will cover Anna Karenina.
Participation 10% Blackboard discussion 10% In-class presentation 10% Quizzes 10% total 3 papers (5-7 pages) 20% each
Childhood Family Happiness Cossacks Anna Karenina Confession Death of Ivan Ilych The Kreutzer Sonata The Kingdom of God is Within You Hadji Murad Divine and Human What For?