Skip Navigation
UT wordmark
College of Liberal Arts wordmark
sociology masthead
Christine L. Williams, Chair CLA 3.306, Mailcode A1700, Austin, TX 78712 • 512-232-6300

New Faculty Orientation

General Administration: Things to Do When You Arrive on Campus

Building Information

Our offices are located in the College of Liberal Arts Building (CLA). The main office (3.306) hours are Monday to Friday, 7:30 am to 5 pm. Undergraduate Advising (1.216) hours are Monday to Friday, 9 am to 12 pm, and 1 pm to 4 pm. Graduate student cubicles are on the 2nd and 3rd floors.

Main Office Phone: (512) 232-6300
Undergraduate Advising Office Phone: (512) 232-6344
Fax: (512) 471-1748

Mailing Address
The University of Texas-Austin
Department of Sociology
305 E 23rd St, A1700
Austin, TX 78712-1086

Internal Campus Mail Code


  • CLIPS and Blackboard/Canvas - Online tools for managing your classes. The Sociology Department Blackboard can be accessed via your Blackboard homepage.
  • Uploading Syllabi and CVs (House Bill 2504) - The State of Texas requires that all faculty upload their CV and syllabi each semester before the 12th class day. They must comply with these specific State guidelines. Upload them here. Please contact Valerie Goldstein if you have any questions.
  • Classroom Media Console Key and Code - Please go to Mezes Hall (MEZ) 2.104 with your UT ID to obtain a classroom media console key, if you need one. Please see front desk for the computer access code. 

IT Support

  • Office Desktop Support -, 471-5000
  • Classroom Support (Liberal Arts) - 471-9666
  • General IT Support - 475-9400

Safety and Health

Staff Contacts

  • Julie Kniseley - Executive Assistant/Office Manager. , 232-6305,  CLA 3.724. General office and administrative matters, accounting, travel, and reimbursements.
  • Kevin Hsu - Senior Administrative Associate. kevin.hsu, 232-6345, CLA 3.306E. General office and administrative matters, website support, work-study students supervision, graduate program matters, travel and reimbursements, supply ordering, accounting.
  • Valerie Goldstein - Administrative Associate. , 232-6302, CLA 3.306G. Course scheduling, surveys, room reservations, and other course-related matters.
  • Evelyn Porter - Graduate Coordinator., 232-6347, CLA 3.732. Graduate program and student matters, TA assignments.
  • Debbie Rothschild - Undergraduate Advisor. , 232-6348, CLA 1.216.

General Office Procedures

  • Mail - The Sociology main office and mail room are open during regular business hours; after hours, they can be accessed with your UT ID. Mailing within the UT campus is free, and the Department will pay for business mail to outside the University as long as the Departmental address is used as the return address.
  • Copying/Printing/Faxing - The Department has two machines for faculty, staff, and graduate students to use for official business matters.
  • Telephone - To call a campus number, dial only the last 5 digits (eg 2-6300); to call locally outside the University, dial 9+area code+number; to make a long-distance domestic call, dial 8+area code+number; to call a toll-free number, dial 9, then the number (including the 1); to make an international call, dial 8+six-digit authorization code+#8011+number.
  • Supplies - To order office supplies and equipment, please see Kevin Hsu or Julie Kniseley.
  • Letterhead - Please see Julie Kniseley for departmental letterhead.
  • Kitchen - For use by all Sociology faculty, staff and graduate students. Coffee is complimentary.
  • Custodial Service - Offices are cleaned once a month. To have trash removed for the next business day, please set your bins in the hall outside your office.
  • Accounting and Travel - If you have an account and would like to know your account number and/or balance, you can check it here. Requests for Travel Authorization and accompanying receipts should be submitted online. If your account or trip is funded by the Population Research Center, please see PRC staff. Before making an expense, check with Julie Kniseley or Kevin Hsu first to confirm reimbursement eligibility.   
  • Leave - Please see Julie Kniseley if you plan to take leave.
  • Clerical assistance - For class- and research-related matters, please ask your TA and/or RA for assistance. The Department undergraduate student assistants can help with some clerical tasks. Please see Kevin Hsu if you need temporary assistance from student assistants.     
bottom border