New Faculty Orientation
General Administration: Things to Do When You Arrive on Campus
- Mandatory New Faculty Orientation - Please click on the link to register.
- Mandatory Employment Forms - Employment Eligibility Verification (I-9), Paycheck Profile, Directory Information, Ethics Statement, General University Compliance Form, Online Compliance Modules.
- I-9 Procedures - Must be done within the first three days of employment.
- Claiming your W-4 – Online form.
- Optional New Employee Orientation - Covers insurance and retirement options.
- UT Electronic Identity (UT EID) - How to find or reset your UT EID.
- UT Email Address - Sign up for your UT email address with your UT EID.
- UT Identification Card - The ID Center is located on the first floor of the Flawn Academic Center (FAC). When you get your UT ID card, be sure to ask that it be a proximity card. Valid photo ID (eg driver's license) required.
- Office Keys - Obtain a key letter from Julie Kniseley and go to the Service Building (SER) with your UT ID card to get your office key.
- Telephone (Smart Voice) - How to set up your voicemail. Julie Kniseley will give you your office phone number and long-distance code.
- Department Faculty Web Profile - How to manage your own faculty webpage.
- Parking - Information on permits, garage/lot locations, and fees.
- UT Faculty Web Central - A comprehensive list of resources for faculty.
- UTDirect - The main web portal where all of the above can be accessed (UT EID required).
Our offices are located in the College of Liberal Arts Building (CLA). Our Main Office (3.306) hours are Monday to Friday, 7:30 am to 5 pm. Undergraduate Advising (1.216) hours are Monday to Friday, 9 am to 12 pm, and 1 pm to 4 pm. Graduate student cubicles are on the 2nd and 3rd floors.
Main Office Phone: (512) 232-6300
Undergraduate Advising Office Phone: (512) 232-6344
Fax: (512) 471-1748
The University of Texas-Austin
Department of Sociology
305 E 23rd St, A1700
Austin, TX 78712-1086
Internal Campus Mail Code
- CLIPS and Blackboard - Online tools for managing your classes. You can access the Sociology Department Blackboard on your Blackboard homepage.
- House Bill 2504 - The State of Texas requires that all faculty upload their CV and syllabi each semester before the 12th class day. They must comply with these specific State guidelines. Upload them here. Please contact Valerie Goldstein if you have any questions.
- Classroom Media Console Key and Code - Please go to Mezes Hall (MEZ) 2.104 with your UT ID to obtain a classroom media console key, if you need one. Please see front desk for the computer access code.
- Office Desktop Support - firstname.lastname@example.org, 471-3232
- Classroom Support (Liberal Arts) - 471-9666
- General IT Support - 475-9400
Safety and Health
- UT Police Department - Call 471-4441 (or 1-4441), or 911, from a campus phone.
- Emergency Text Alerts - Sign up for text alerts to receive prompt notice of emergencies, other safety issues, and weather closings.
- Behavior Concerns Advice Line (BCAL) - 232-5050. BCAL is a service that provides The University of Texas at Austin’s faculty, students and staff an opportunity to discuss their concerns about another individual's behavior.
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP) - 471-3366
- Maintenance and Trouble Calls - 471-7728
- UT Child Development Center - UT childcare services.
- Julie Kniseley - Executive Assistant/Office Manager. email@example.com, 232-6305, CLA 3.724. General office and administrative matters.
- Hsiang-Cheng Hsu - Administrative Associate. firstname.lastname@example.org, 232-6345, CLA 3.306E. General office and administrative matters, web support, work-study students supervision, graduate program matters.
- Valerie Goldstein - Administrative Associate. email@example.com, 232-6302, CLA 3.306G. Course scheduling, surveys, room reservations, and other course-related matters.
- Michelle Robertson - Administrative Associate. firstname.lastname@example.org, 232-6304, CLA 3.726. Accounting matters, travel and reimbursements, supply ordering.
- Evelyn Porter - Graduate Coordinator. email@example.com, 232-6347, CLA 3.732. Graduate program and student matters, TA assignments.
- Debbie Rothschild - Undergraduate Advisor. firstname.lastname@example.org, 232-6348, CLA 1.216.
General Office Procedures
- Mail - The Sociology main office and mail room are open during regular business hours; after hours, they can be accessed with your UT ID Card. Mailing within the UT campus is free, and the Department will pay for business mail to outside the University as long as the Departmental address is used as the return address.
- Copying/Printing/Faxing - The Department has two machines for faculty, staff and graduate students to use for official business matters.
- Telephone - To call a campus number, dial only the last 5 digits (eg 2-6300); to call locally outside the University, dial 9+area code+number; to make a long-distance domestic call, dial 8+area code+number; to call a toll-free number, dial 9, then the number (including the 1); to make an international call, dial 8+six-digit authorization code+#8011+number.
- Supplies - To order office supplies and equipment, please see Michelle Robertson.
- Kitchen - For use by all Sociology faculty, staff and graduate students. Coffee is complimentary.
- Custodial Service - Offices are cleaned once a month. To have trash removed for the next business day, please set your bins in the hall outside your office.
- Accounting and Travel - If you have an account and would like to check your balance, please see Michelle Robertson. Requests for Travel Authorization and accompanying receipts must also be turned in to Michelle Robertson. If your account or trip is funded by the Population Research Center, please see PRC staff. Before occasioning an expense, you should always check with Michelle Robertson first to confirm reimbursement eligibility.
- Leave - Please see Julie Kniseley if you plan to take leave.
- Clerical assistance - For class- and research-related matters, please ask your TA and/or RA. The Department has undergraduate student assistants to help with some clerical matters. Please see staff if you need temporary assistance from student assistants with these matters.