Skip Navigation
UT wordmark
College of Liberal Arts wordmark
sociology masthead
Christine L. Williams, Chair CLA 3.306, Mailcode A1700, Austin, TX 78712 • 512-232-6300

Forms and Instructions for Courses, Thesis/Dissertation Submission, Candidacy, and Graduation

Coursework, Thesis/Dissertation Submission, Candidacy, and Graduation

Conference, Thesis, and Proposal Preparation Courses

  • Val Goldstein collects the forms for these courses and removes the registration bars until the 4th class day. The graduate coordinator will add courses until the 12th class day. A petition letter and add/drop form will be required after the 12th class day. Signatures from the course instructor and Graduate Advisor will also be required.
  • The Graduate Advisor's signature is required in almost every case.
  • The first number in the Conference and Proposal courses indicates the number of hours.
  • Registration bars need to be removed for restricted out-of-department courses and the following Sociology courses. Once they are removed you must register for the course yourself:

SOC X80 - Conference Courses: These require a title and the signature of your supervising course professor. Only one conference course can be counted in your area of specialization and one in your elective area. They must be taken for a grade. Conference courses from other departments can be taken pass/fail and are applied to out-of-area requirements.

SOC 698A and B - Thesis: Only the Graduate Advisor's signature is needed, but your supervisor and reader information must be filled in as well. You can take 698B more than once; however, if you are completing your thesis during the second semester, you must also go to the Office of Graduate Studies website and fill out the Master's Graduation Application Form along with thesis and program of work submission forms.

Soc X90K - Proposal Preparation: This needs the signature of your Doctoral Committee Chair. Proposal hours can be repeated and used to prepare for comprehensive exams as well as for proposal defense.

Course Forms

Thesis/Dissertation Submission, Candidacy, Graduation, Leave of Absence, and other forms can be found on the OGS forms page. Out-of-department coursework will require the signature of that department's graduate advisor or professor as indicated on the form.

Other Forms

TA/AI Forms and Annual Report

Fellowship and Award Forms

Research Forms

Other Graduate School Forms

bottom border