Applicants must meet the minimum eligibility requirements set by the Graduate School (GIAC), namely:
- 3.0 GPA or higher on all upper-division and graduate coursework
- take the verbal and quantitative portions of the GRE
(The GRE writing portion is NOT considered. The GRE subject test in Sociology is NOT required.)
- International Applicants only – take the TOEFL/IELTS. Info for TOEFL/IELTS as well as other tests is at http://www.utexas.edu/ogs/admissions/test_scores.html which also gives information about fee waivers, etc.
These eligibility requirements cannot be waived.
Applying--Please read all of the following information carefully
The Department only accepts applications for the Fall semester. We do NOT defer admission.
Applications are now COMPLETELY ONLINE through GIAC (http://www.utexas.edu/ogs/admissions/howtous.html), and must be completed and submitted by December 1. ALL PAPER APPLICATIONS AND MATERIALS SENT TO GIAC OR THE SOCIOLOGY DEPARTMENT WILL BE UNREAD AND DISPOSED OF. Within 1–2 business day(s) after you submit your application, you will receive an email message from GIAC acknowledging that your application has been received. Your UT EID and temporary password will be included in this correspondence, as well as a link to the Online Admissions Status Check page. From this site you will be given the opportunity to upload a PDF copy of your OFFICIAL transcript, as well as Writing Sample and CV. (If you are offered admission, you will be asked to mail an official paper transcript for the institutions attended prior to enrolling.) Application materials consist of:
- Application Form (online). On the form, please choose 1 of our 12 areas of specialization listed.
- Application fee (nonrefundable). $65.00 for US applicants; $90.00 for International applicants.
- Transcripts for each senior college attended. To be submitted online on the Online Admissions Status Check page, after submitting and paying for your application. Note: each transcript can be uploaded only once, so please make sure you have the correct and full version of each transcript before uploading. Junior and community college transcripts are not necessary.
- Official GRE scores. To be submitted by ETS directly to GIAC.
- Official TOEFL/IELTS scores (International applicants only). To be submitted by ETS directly to GIAC.
- Three letters of recommendation. Recommenders will by notified by email with instructions on how to upload their letters once you have submitted and paid for your application. We cannot process letters and materials sent through folio services (such as Interfolio) at this point.
- Statement of purpose. No longer than 3 pages (if double-spaced)--to be submitted online as a part of the Application Form.
- Writing sample. One 10-20 page double-spaced academic, sociological writing sample that you have written in English. Please do not submit anything over the page limit, including entire theses. To be submitted online on the Online Admissions Status Check page, after submitting and paying for your application.
- Curriculum vitae or resume. To be submitted online on the Online Admissions Status Check page, after submitting and paying for your application.
Please follow the instructions above and on http://www.utexas.edu/ogs/admissions/howtous.html very carefully. It is the applicant's responsibility to make sure the proper materials are completed, properly uploaded, and submitted online through the GIAC website (http://www.utexas.edu/ogs/admissions/howtous.html). Failure to do so will significantly delay the review of your application and chances for admission to the Sociology graduate program. ***NO MAILED, E-MAILED, OR FAXED APPLICATIONS (INCLUDING RECOMMENDATION LETTERS) WILL BE ACCEPTED, AND ALL PAPER MATERIALS SENT WILL BE UNREAD AND DISPOSED OF. LATE AND/OR INCOMPLETE APPLICATIONS WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED.*** To check the status of your application, go to http://utdirect.utexas.edu/nr/appstat.html. Email email@example.com for questions about the program or the application process.