Forms and Instructions
Coursework, Thesis/Dissertation Submission, Candidacy, and Graduation
- MA Coursework Checklist
- MA Forms and Instructions for Thesis Submission and Graduation
- PhD Coursework Checklists: All Except Demography, Demography Only
- PhD Forms and Instructions for Candidacy
- PhD Forms and Instructions for Dissertation Submission and Graduation
Conference, Thesis, and Dissertation Proposal Preparation Courses
- Valerie Goldstein collects the forms for these courses and removes the registration bars until the 4th class day. The graduate program administrator Evelyn Porter will add courses until the 12th class day. A petition letter and add/drop form will be required after the 12th class day. Signatures from the course instructor and graduate advisor will also be required.
- The graduate advisor's signature is required in almost every case.
- The first number in the conference and proposal courses indicates the number of hours. For summer courses, "f" indicates first term, "s" indicates second term, and "w" indicates whole session.
- Registration bars need to be removed for restricted out-of-department courses and the following Sociology courses. Once they are removed students must register for the course themselves:
SOC X80 - Conference Courses: These require a title and the signature of the student's supervising course professor. Only one conference course can be counted in the student's area of specialization and one in their elective area. They must be taken for a grade. Conference courses from other departments can be taken pass/fail and are applied to out-of-area requirements.
SOC 698A and B - Thesis: Only the graduate advisor's signature is needed, but the supervisor and reader information must be filled in as well. Students can take 698B more than once; however, if they are completing their thesis during the second semester, they must also go to the Office of Graduate Studies Deadlines and Forms page and fill out the Master's Graduation Application Form (click on "Master's Graduation Guidelines and Deadlines" on top), along with the Thesis (same link) and Program of Work (on the main Deadlines and Forms page) submission forms.
Soc X90K - Dissertation Proposal Preparation: This needs the signature of the student's doctoral committee chair. Proposal hours can be repeated and used to prepare for comprehensive exams as well as for proposal defense.
- [698A or B]: Master's Thesis Registration Approval (doc)
- [X80]: Conference Course - Fall or Spring (doc)
- [x380]: Conference Course - Summer (doc)
- [X90K]: Proposal Preparation - Fall or Spring (doc)
- [X90K]: Proposal Preparation - Summer (doc)
Thesis/Dissertation Submission, Candidacy, Graduation, Leave of Absence, and other forms can be found on OGS Deadlines and Forms. Out-of-department coursework will require the signature of that department's graduate advisor or professor as indicated on the form.
TA/AI Forms and Annual Report
Fellowship and Award Forms
- Application for Graduate Student Professional Development Award
To apply for an award, please see the instructions and deadlines.
- If a conference is within the appropriate semester application period, download and complete the application and create 3 documents with the following protocols: LastNameApp.pdf, LastNameAbstract.pdf, LastNameAccept.pdf. Email the application, abstract and paper acceptance files to the graduate program administrator: email@example.com. She will upload the documents requesting OGS offer the applicant the award, which the applicant will have to accept and for which they must provide a short report after the conference.