Skip Navigation
UT wordmark
College of Liberal Arts wordmark
spanish masthead
Jill Robbins, Chair 150 W 21st Street, Stop B3700, Austin, TX 78712 • 512-471-4936

Fall 2005

SPN 378H • Honor's Seminar

Unique Days Time Location Instructor
49395 MWF
1:00 PM-2:00 PM
PAR 304
SUTHERLAND-MEIER

Course Description

In this course we will read works by women writers of medieval and Golden Age Spain. Our first writer will take us back to the fratricidal conflict between Pedro I and his half-brother Enrique de Trastámara. Leonor López and her family suffered in prison during Enrique's reign and her father was executed at his command -- she recalls all of this in her Memorias. Our second writer, Teresa de Cartagena (b. 1420/1435), who came from an important intellectual converso family, is one of the better-known writers on the list. She is the author of two works: Arboleda de los enfermos ( a book of consolation) and Admiracion operum Dey (a work she wrote in defense of herself after it was discovered that the author of the Arboleda was a woman). We will also look at the writings of two medieval women poets, Florencia Pinar and Mayor Arias. Moving into the Golden Age, we will consider examples of the writing of three more well-known, canonical figures: Santa Teresa de Avila, María de Zayas y Sotomayor, and Sor Juana Inés de la Cruz. Finally, we will read a play by Ana Caro Mallén de Soto.

Grading Policy

o Three short reaction papers (2 pages each) Two of these short papers will be written early in the semester, one will be written during the second part of the semester as students begin to explore topics for longer paper o Two reports on articles (2-3 pages each) Over the course of the semester, students will present oral reports on two articles. They will then write up their reports. One report will be written during the first half of the semester, one during the second half. (Depending on the size of the class, the students may present the reports in groups. They will write their reports individually.) o One longer paper due at the end of the semester (5-6 pages) This paper may grow out of a reaction paper and/or a report. Students will turn in an outline and a bibliography, which will also count in the calculation of their final grade. The various writing assignments will count for 75% of the final grade. The remaining 25% will be divided among attendance and participation (10%) and performance on frequent in-class quizzes over the reading (15%).

Texts

Leonor López de Córdoba, Memorias Teresa de Cartagena, Arboleda de los enfermos and Admiracion operum Dey (selections) Poems by Florencia Pinar and Mayor Arias Santa Teresa, Libro de su vida (selections) and selected poems María de Zayas, Novelas amorosas y ejemplares (selections) Sor Juana, selected poems Ana Caro Mallén de Soto, El Conde Parnuplés

back

bottom border