New Faculty Orientation
Important Things to Do upon Arrival to Campus
- Mandatory New Faculty Orientation - Please click the link on the page to register.
- Mandatory Employment Forms - Paycheck Profile, Directory Information, Ethics Statement, General University Compliance Form, Online Complice Modules.
- I-9 Verification - Must be completed within the first three days of employment. Can be done at the New Faculty Orientation or see Mary Kleba.
- Claiming the W-4 - Online form.
- Optional New Employee Orientation - Covers insurance and retirement options.
- UT Electronic Identity (UT EID) - How to find or reset a UT EID.
- UT Austin Email Address - Sign up for a UT Austin email address with a UT EID.
- UT Identifcation Card - The ID Center is located on the first floor of the Flawn Academic Center (FAC). Valid photo ID (ex. driver's license) required. If given proximity access, by Lisa Mailloux, the UT ID will also serve as an electronic key for the BEN interior hallways and for the building after hours.
- Office Keys - Obtain a key letter from Mary Kleba and go to the Service Building (SER) with a UT ID card to get an office key.
- Telephone (Smart Voice) - Voicemail instructions. Mary Kleba will give faculty their office phone number.
- Department Faculty Web Profile - How to manage the factuly profile webpage. Upload a photo here.
- Parking - Information on permits, garage/lot locations, and fees.
- UT Austin Faculty Web Central - A comprehensive list of resources for faculty.
- UTDirect - The main web portal where all of the above can be accessed (UT EID required).
- Blackboard/Canvas - Department of Spanish and Portuguese Blackboard and Canvas. The University is transitioning from Blackboard to Canvas.
The Department's officies are located in Benedict Hall (BEN). The main office (2.116) hours are Monday to Friday, 8:00 am to 5:00 pm. Undergraduate Advising (2.108) hours are Monday to Friday, 8:00 am to 12:00 pm, and 1:00 pm to 4:00 pm. Graduate student offices are on the 4th and 5th floors.
Main Office Phone: (512) 471-4936
Main Office Fax: (512) 471-8073
Undergraduate Advising Office Phone: (512) 232-4506
The University of Texas at Austin
Department of Spanish and Portuguese
150 West 21st Street, B3700
Austin, TX 78712-1086
Internal Campus Mail Code
Courses and Teaching
- CLIPS and Blackboard/Canvas - Online tools for managing classes.
- Uploading Syllabi and CVs (House Bill 2504) - The State of Texas requires that all faculty upload their CV and syallbi each semester before the 12th class day. They must comply with these specific State guidelines. Upload them here. Please contact Lisa Mailloux with questions.
- Classroom Media Console Key and Code - Please go to Mezes Hall (MEZ) 2.104 with a UT ID to obtain a classroom media console key, if needed. Please see front desk for the computer access code.
- Office Desktop Support - email@example.com or (512) 471-5000
- Classroom Support (Liberal Arts) - (512) 471-9666
- General IT Support - (512) 475-9400
Safety and Health
- UT Austin Police Department - Call (512) 471-4441, or 911, from a campus phone.
- Emergency Text Alerts - Sign up for text alerts to receive prompt notice of emergencies, other safety issues, and weather closings.
- Behavior Concerns Advice Line (BCAL) - (512) 232-5050. BCAL is a service that provides faculty, students, and staff an opportunity to discuss their concerns about another individual's behavior.
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP) - (512) 471-3366
- Maintenance and Trouble Calls - (512) 471-2020
- UT Austin Child Development Center - UT Austin childcare services.
- Jeff Becker - Senior Administrative Associate. firstname.lastname@example.org, (512) 471-8336, BEN 2.116.
- Lisa Mailloux - Administrative Associate / Course Scheduler. email@example.com, (512) 232-4507, BEN 2.122.
- Mark Kleba - Executive Assistant / Department Contact. firstname.lastname@example.org, (512) 232-4504, BEN 2.116.
- Elizabeth Hastings - Academic Advising Coodinator. email@example.com, (512) 232-4506. BEN 2.108.
- Laura Rodriquez - Graduate Program Coordinator. firstname.lastname@example.org, (512) 232-4502. BEN 2.128.
General Office Procedures
- Mail - The Department of Spanish and Portuguese main office and mail room are open during regular business hours; after hours, they can be accessed by staff and faculty with the appropriate keys. Mailing within the UT Austin campus is free, and the Department will pay for mailing to outside the University as long as the Department address is used as the return address.
- Copying/Printing/Faxing - The Department has copiers located on each floor of Benedict Hall (BEN) for faculty, staff, and graduate student use. A fax machine is located in the main office (BEN 2.116).
- Telephone - To call a campus number, dial only the last 5 digits (ex. 1-4936); to call locally outside the University, dial 9+area code+number; to make a long-distance domestic call, dial 9+area code+number; to call a toll-free number, dial 9, then the number (including the 1); to make an international call, dial 8+six-digit authorization code+#8011+number.
- Supplies - To order office supplies and equipment, please see Mary Kleba.
- Letterhead - Please visit the main office (BEN 2.116) for Departmental letterhead.
- Kitchen - For use by all Departmental faculty and staff.
- Custodial Services - Offices are cleaned once a month. To have trash removed for the next business day, please set bins in the hall outside offices. You can also call them to make specific, individual requests at 471-2020.
- Accounting and Travel - Faculty who have an account and would like to know their account number and/or balance can check it here. Before making an expense, check with Mary Kleba to comfirm reimbursement eligibility.
- Leave - Please see Mary Kleba if planning to take leave.