The application should be completed in two steps.I. GIAC online application (ApplyTexas)
II. Application to the Department of Spanish and Portuguese (hard copies of all documentation)
DEADLINE: December 31. Applications are accepted for the fall semester only.
I. GIAC online application - ApplyTexas (do not send hard copies to GIAC).
The Graduate and International Admissions Center (GIAC)
- GIAC application. (ApplyTexas).
- Statement of purpose. In English. It must be sent electronically with the application.
- Three letters of recommendation. To be sent electronically, provide the email addresses of the recommenders and GIAC will contact them directly.
- Upload one transcript for each institution attended on the status check web site.
- Upload one copy of GRE scores.
- Upload TOEFL scores (required for international students only).
- Application fee (non-refundable).
II. Send the following materials directly to the Department of Spanish and Portuguese:
Department of Spanish and PortugueseAttn: Graduate CoordinatorThe University of Texas at Austin1 University Station, B3700 Austin, TX 78712
Please be sure to send hard copies of these documents to the Department of Spanish and Portuguese:
- (Right click and Save link as...) Application to the Spanish & Portuguese Department (PDF 103K).
- Statement of Purpose: In English. Tell us why you are interested in our particular program, explain your intellectual goals and interests and how you believe our program will help you fulfill them.
- Three letters of recommendation with attached form (PDF 724K). Please print the form, fill out the part with your information, and give it to your recommenders to fill out the second part, ask them to attach it to their letter. (If you have teaching experience, one letter may be from a person who has supervised your teaching).
- A copy of college/university transcripts.
- A copy of GRE scores.
- A copy of TOEFL or IELTS scores if you do not have a Bachelor’s Degree from an English-speaking university.
- A writing sample, usually a term paper or essay, in Spanish or Portuguese (at least 15 pages, but no more than 20).
Once your application materials are received you may be interviewed in person or by phone.
If you have other questions regarding application to our programs, please contact the Graduate Coordinator or write or telephone using the information below:
Laura Rodríguez, Graduate Coordinator
Department of Spanish and Portuguese
The University of Texas at Austin
1 University Station B3700
Austin TX 78712