PLACEMENT TEST IN SPANISH WITH WRITING EXERCISE
· Results of the University of Texas Spanish examination with writing exercise are used to place students in UT Austin Spanish courses appropriate for their particular levels of proficiency.
· Test results also serve as a basis for awarding credit in one to three Spanish courses: SPN 601D, 610D, or 611D.
· The Department of Spanish and Portuguese selects the tests, sets the levels of performance required for credit, and specifies who is eligible to earn credit by examination. The Center for Teaching and Learning assists the department by communicating policies, giving the tests, and reporting the credit.
STUDENTS FOR WHOM THE PLACEMENT TEST IS APPROPRIATE
1. Students who have prior knowledge of Spanish (regardless of how it was acquired) and who do not have college credit in Spanish are strongly encouraged to take the UT Austin Test for Credit in Spanish before they enroll in their first UT Austin Spanish course.
2. Transfer students may also use the placement test to earn additional credit in Spanish or to earn credit for lower-division courses from which they were exempted without credit at another institution.
3. Spanish credit already earned is not affected by the results of the placement test.
Students who do not intend to enroll in a Spanish course but who wish to attempt to earn credit by examination may also take the placement test.
4. Students who take the International Baccalaureate Examination in Spanish Language A1, A2, or B or the College Board Advanced Placement Examination in Spanish Language or in Spanish Literature are exempt from taking The University of Texas College-Level Placement Test in Spanish with writing exercise.
ELIGIBILITY FOR CREDIT BY EXAMINATION IN SPANISH
1. You are eligible for credit only in those courses for which you do not have a passing or failing grade.
2. In addition, if you have been enrolled in SPN 601D, 610D, 611D or any equivalent course for as long as the date on which the official enrollment count is taken (twelfth class day for long semesters and fourth class day for summer school sessions), you cannot receive credit by examination for that class.
LEVEL OF PERFORMANCE REQUIRED FOR CREDIT
· In addition to the University of Texas Spanish Examination with Writing Exercise, which includes 65 multiple choice test items in Listening, Grammar and Reading, there will be a UT Austin writing exercise comprised of a short essay, approximately 200 words long, that tests the student's ability to communicate ideas clearly in Spanish.
· The student will be expected to write in Spanish using a wide range of vocabulary, grammar structures, appropriate connecting words and organization of the topic. Students’ essays will be scored on context and accomplishment of task, range and use of vocabulary and grammar, textual organization, flow as well as use of connectors, and punctuation and spelling.
· To receive credit, the student must receive satisfactory scores on the University of Texas Spanish examination and writing exercise.
· For more information, please contact the Student Testing Services office at 512-232-2662.
1. The University of Texas Spanish examination with writing exercise must be taken on the UT Austin campus.
2. Test Periods: The University of Texas Spanish examination with writing exercise is offered on the UT Austin campus during scheduled testing periods several days before each class registration period and during most summer orientation sessions.
4. Test Registration for Students with Disabilities: If you require academic accommodations or assistance due to a documented disability, you should contact these two offices at least five business days before the day of the test.
5. Services for Students with Disabilities, in the Office of the Dean of Students at firstname.lastname@example.org, http:/deanofstudents.utexas.edu/ssd/, or (512) 471-6259 to seek approval for authorized accommodations.
6. CTL/Student Testing Services at (512) 232-2662 to register and make arrangements to take the test.
7. Registration Fee and Test Fee Payment: When you register for a test, you will be immediately billed a non-refundable test registration fee of $20. The test fee is $60 and is subject to change. The test fee will be billed only after you take the test. Payment for both charges is due within 14 days of billing. The total fee for this test is $80.
8. Repeating the Test: You may take the University of Texas Spanish examination with writing exercise only once.
9. Admission to the Test Room: When you register online you will be given the location of your test room. You must present, at the test room, a generally accepted form of identification that includes both your signature and photograph. Without such identification, you will be admitted only if you bring and relinquish a photograph of yourself.