Applying to the Program: Making Your Case
The Graduate Program of the Department of English at The University of Texas at Austin admits students for the fall semester only.
The Fall 2016 application deadline is 11:59 pm (Central Standard Time) on December 15, 2015.
The Department of English requires the following:
- Writing sample
- Personal Statement/Statement of purpose
- Letters of recommendation
- General GRE
- GRE Subject Test
- Applicants must meet all minimum requirements of the UT Austin Graduate School including:
- A Bachelor's degree from an accredited university
- A 3.0 or higher GPA in upper-division coursework
- Official TOEFL or IELTS score(s), if applicable.
Please read http://www.utexas.edu/ogs/admissions/requirements.html before submitting your application.
- Applicants must read and follow the directions given in the link below regarding "How to Apply".
How to submit an application:
- Complete the ApplyTexas application.
- Pay the application fee.
- You will then receive an email with an EID and temporary password.
- Using your EID and temporary password, log into the Application Status Check website and upload the required supporting materials (i.e. writing sample, personal statement, transcripts).
Please note, there are two separate application procedures that need to be completed: 1) the ApplyTexas application; and 2) Uploading your supporting materials through the Application Status Check. Your application is not complete until you have uploaded your supporting materials.
As many as two days can pass between your submission of the ApplyTexas application and your receipt of the email with your EID and password to log into the Application Status Check. Please be patient and plan accordingly. If you do not receive the email with your EID and temporary password after two business days, please feel free to contact GIAC or the department, but it is not helpful to do so any earlier.
- All application materials under the applicant's control (i.e. personal statement and writing sample) must be uploaded by 11:59 PM CST on December 15, 2015 for the application to be considered for Fall 2016 admission.
Due to the volume of applications, the English Office cannot confirm the receipt of individual items. Applicants are normally notified of the Program's decision by the end of February.
- Faculty & Research
- Graduate Students
- Fields of Study
- American Literature
- Bibliographic & Textual Studies
- Modern British Literature
- Digital Literacies & Literatures
- Language & Linguistics
- Ethnic & Third-World Literatures
- Popular Culture
- Medieval Studies
- 18th-Century British Literature
- Women, Gender, & Literature
- Poetry & Poetics
- Renaissance Literature
- 19th-Century British Literature
- Creative Writing
- Undergraduate Program
- Student Achievements
- Courses in English
- Programs & Projects
- Events & Seminars
- Alumni & Giving
- Internal Resources
Department of English
University of Texas at Austin
204 W 21st Street B5000
Calhoun Hall, Room 226
Austin, Texas 78712-1164
- Office of the Dean
- Academic Affairs
- Research & Graduate Studies
- Student Affairs
- Business Affairs
- Human Resources
- Alumni & Giving
- Public Affairs
- LAITS: IT & Facilities
- The University of Texas at Austin
116 Inner Campus Dr Stop G6000
Austin, TX 78712
- General Inquiries: