The Chateaubriand Fellowship proposals accepted
Thu, November 7, 2013
Please note that this fellowship is from an external agency and not through the Center for European Studies or UT Austin.
The Chateaubriand Fellowship - HSS call for proposal is now open: http://humanities.chateaubriand-fellowship.org/
Complete applications must be submitted by December 16th 2013, 12pm.
HSS Chateaubriand is a fellowship program offered by the Cultural Services of the French Embassy in the US. Every year, it allows doctorate students enrolled in American universities to conduct research in France for up to 8 months.
It targets outstanding Ph.D. students from American universities who seek to engage in research in France, in any discipline of the Humanities and Social Sciences.
HSS Chateaubriand fellows are selected through a merit-based competition, through a binational collaborative process involving expert evaluators from both countries.
HSS Chateaubriand grantees are applicants who answer the program’s criteria of excellence and whose sojourn in France will support the program’s philosophy. The HSS Chateaubriand fellowship program’s purpose is to foster bilateral cooperation at Ph.D. and research level, and to build and strengthen bridges between our two nations.
Candidates must be currently working on their Ph.D.
Candidates do not have to be U.S. citizens, but they must be enrolled in an American university. However, French citizens are not eligible to apply.
Candidates must obtain a letter of recommendation from their advisor(s) in the U.S., as well as a letter of invitation from a professor affiliated with a French university or research institution. Please be in touch with your supervisor in France as early as possible. The history of the research relationship will be taken into account in the review process.
There are three types of fellowships:
- - Fall Fellowship: 4 months, starts October 1st.
- - Spring Fellowship: 4 months, starts February 1st.
- - Year-long Fellowship: 8 months, starts October 1st.
Applicants' preference will be taken into account but not necessarily accommodated.
All application materials are due on December 16th for the following fellowship year.
HSS Chateaubriand fellows receive:
- - A monthly stipend of 1500 €
- - Health insurance for the entire duration of the fellowship
- - a round-trip ticket to France with welcome package
Each application receives two evaluations: one from a French scholar, the other from an American scholar.
The candidates' applications and their scholars' recommendations are then reviewed by a final selection committee.
The criteria taken into account include:
- - Academic Relevance of the Research Project
- - Beneficial Effects of a Research Trip to France
- - Student's command of the subject
- - Contribution of the Project to the Global France/US Academic Exchange Context
For any further information please visit our website: http://humanities.chateaubriand-fellowship.org/
Contact the Chateaubriand HSS program manager, Ms Prudence BARBERA: firstname.lastname@example.org
- About CES
Past Conferences and Workshops
- Current Challenges in European Security
- Past Conferences
- Cold War Cultures
- Crisis in the Eurozone
- Comparative Energy
- Elites and Trans-Atlantic Crisis: A Symposium, 2012
- EU 101
- Funding Your Work in Europe
- Human Rights
- Identity Politics 2013
- Immigration Policy after 9/11
- Mass Media 2014
- Migration During an Era of Restriction
- Migration Conference
- Roma Tomorrow
- Sexual Citizenship and Human Rights
- Secession Redux 2013
- Spontaneity and Organization
- Texas-EU Summit 2012
- Transatlantic Intolerance
- Texas-EU Summit 2013
- Seeking Security 2015
- Funding Opportunities
- Resources for Faculty
- Get Involved
- Viadrina Faculty Exchange
Center for European Studies
University of Texas at Austin
158 W 21st Street
Austin, Texas 78712
- Office of the Dean
- Academic Affairs
- Research & Graduate Studies
- Student Affairs
- Business Affairs
- Human Resources
- Alumni & Giving
- Public Affairs
- LAITS: IT & Facilities
- The University of Texas at Austin
116 Inner Campus Dr Stop G6000
Austin, TX 78712
- General Inquiries: