Orlando R. Kelm
Associate Professor — Ph.D., University of California, Berkeley
Orlando R. Kelm (Ph.D. University of California, Berkeley, 1989) is an Associate Professor of Hispanic Linguistics whose professional interests center on the use language and culture for professional purposes, such as Business Spanish and Portuguese. His current research focuses on the creation of instructional materials, including the use of innovative technologies in foreign language instruction. He also frequently teaches courses, both in Spanish and Portuguese, in phonetics and phonology. He currently serves as the Associate Director of Business Language Education for the Center for International Business Education and Research at UT, Austin.
Internet Based Publication Projects
- “Cultural Interviews with International Business Executives” 2015. Updated version of the nearly 1000 previous Spanish, German, Chinese, Turkish and Japanese online interviews. <http://culturalinterviews.wikispaces.com>.
- “Língua da Gente.” 2014-2016. Audio podcast lessons with accompanying PDF files, and discussion blog. <http://linguadagente.coerll.utexas.edu>.
- “Língua da Gente” Application. 2014-2016. Mobile App with exercises to accompany the Língua da Gente podcast series. <http://openlanguage.com/library/learn-portuguese/24/latest>.
- "Conversa Brasileira." 2009-2012. Video podcast lessons with accompanying PDF files, and discussion blog. <http://coerll.utexas.edu/brazilpod/cob/>.
- The Foreign Language Mastery Show. Host John Fotheringham. Nov. 25, 2009. http://l2mastery.com/blog/shownotes/interview-with-dr-orlando-kelm/
- The Global Wanderer: Intelligent Talk – Business. Culture. Travel. Host: Michael Froehls, June 11, 2013. http://theglobalwanderer.tumblr.com/post/52749385036/intercultural-awareness
- The Hum of Language Acquisition: The Official Voice of OpenLanguage. Host: Jenny Zhu, July 31, 2013. http://blog.openlanguage.com/2013/07/31/the-openlanguage-learners-series-conversation-with-a-reluctant-polyglot/
- Travel Wisdom Podcast. Host Ladan Jiracek. Feb 13, 2015-10-15. http://www.podcastchart.com/podcasts/travel-wisdom-podcast-how-travelling-can-plant-the-seeds-of-wisdom-and-lead-to-success-in-life/episodes/ep-42-orlando-kelm-on-learning-languages-as-a-cultural-thing-also-his-portuguese-podcast
- Kelm, Orlando R. Conversa Brasileira. Reproduced and distributed on demand by the Center for Open Educational Resources and Language Learning (COERLL), The University of Texas at Austin. 2013. Pp 352.
- Kelm, Orlando R., John N. Doggett, and Haiping Tang. When we are the foreigners: What Chinese think about working with Americans. Charleston, SC: Createspace.com. 2011. Pp 146.
Interview Article: Ladan Nikravan, Diversity Executive, Oct. 4, 2011, <http://www.diversity-executive.com/article.php?in=1325>
Review: Kirkus Indie Review, Oct. 3, 2011, <http://www.kirkusreviews.com/book-reviews/indie/orlando-r-kelm/when-we-are-foreigners/>
Review: Trevor Williams, Global Atlanta, Sept. 21, 2011, <http://www.globalatlanta.com/article/25079/>
- Kelm, Orlando R., Mary Risner. Brazilians Working with Americans: Cultural Case Studies. Austin, TX: The University of Texas Press, 2007. Pp 196.
Review: Vanessa Fitzgibbon, Luso-Brazilian Review, Volume 47, Number 1, 2010, pp. 254-256.
Review: Maria Antonia Cowles, The Modern Language Journal, Volume 93, Number 1, 2009, pp. 132.
Kelm, Orlando R., and David Victor. The Seven Keys to Intercultural Communication: Brazil. To be published by Georgetown University Press in Fall 2016.
Kelm, Orlando R., David Victor, and Haru Yamada. The Seven Keys to Intercultural Communication: Japan. To be published by Georgetown University Press.
- About CES
Past Conferences and Workshops
- Current Challenges in European Security
- Past Conferences
- Cold War Cultures
- Crisis in the Eurozone
- Comparative Energy
- Elites and Trans-Atlantic Crisis: A Symposium, 2012
- EU 101
- Funding Your Work in Europe
- Human Rights
- Identity Politics 2013
- Immigration Policy after 9/11
- Mass Media 2014
- Migration During an Era of Restriction
- Migration Conference
- Roma Tomorrow
- Sexual Citizenship and Human Rights
- Secession Redux 2013
- Spontaneity and Organization
- Texas-EU Summit 2012
- Transatlantic Intolerance
- Texas-EU Summit 2013
- Seeking Security 2015
- About Funding Opportunities
- Graduate Funding Opportunities
- Undergraduate Funding Opportunities
- Faculty Funding Opportunities
- Minority Serving Institution (MSI) Grants
- Requests for Funding
- Resources for Faculty
- Get Involved
- Viadrina Faculty Exchange
- UT Box
Center for European Studies
University of Texas at Austin
158 W 21st Street
Austin, Texas 78712
- Office of the Dean
- Academic Affairs
- Research & Graduate Studies
- Student Affairs
- Business Affairs
- Human Resources
- Alumni & Giving
- Public Affairs
- LAITS: IT & Facilities
- The University of Texas at Austin
116 Inner Campus Dr Stop G6000
Austin, TX 78712
- General Inquiries: