Dr. Wynn recipient of President's Associates Teaching Excellence Award for 2010-11
Mon, November 29, 2010
Prof. Charters Wynn
Charters Wynn is one of six professors from the College of Liberal Arts who have been selected to receive the President's Associates Teaching Excellence Award for the 2010-11 academic year at The University of Texas at Austin (UT).
The award recognizes the consistent level of excellence the faculty members achieved in teaching undergraduate students. Wynn is the director of the Normandy Scholar Program (NSP), a study abroad program administered through the Department of History. He has been a NSP faculty member since 2002 and a member of the UT faculty since 1990.
The President's Associates Teaching Excellence Award makes the third teaching award for Wynn. He was also the recipient of the 2008 Raymond Dickson Centennial Endowed Teaching Fellowship and the 2006 Eyes of Texas Excellence Award.
He teaches undergraduate and graduate courses on "Revolutionary Russia" and "Stalinist Russia" as well as the undergraduate Soviet survey. He also teaches "Stalin's Russia at War" as a faculty member in the NSP.
Steven Leslie, provost of the university, said recipients of the teaching award each will receive a $5,000 honorarium and will be honored during a ceremony in spring 2011.
"Your commitment and outstanding performance, as well as your high academic standards, not only instruct but also inspire," Leslie said in his letter informing the faculty members they had been chosen for the award.
The awards are based upon selections received from the deans and department chairs in the colleges of Liberal Arts and Natural Sciences . All selections are reviewed by the vice provost, who then makes recommendations to the executive vice president and provost.
Other recipients include:
- Associate Professor Elizabeth Engelhardt, Department of American Studies
- Professor Ami Pedahzur, Department of Government
- Associate Professor Kirsten Belgum, Department of Germanic Studies, College of Liberal Arts
- Professor Stephen Friesen, Department of Religious Studies
- Professor Domino R. Perez, Department of English
Previous History Dept. recipients:
- Professor David Crew, 2005-06
- Associate Professor Mark A. Lawrence, 2003-04
- Associate Professor Alison K. Frazier, 2002-03
- Associate Professor Bruce J. Hunt, 2001-02
- Associate Professor Judith Coffin, 1998-99
- Associate Professor Denise A. Spellberg, 1996-97
- Professor Emeritus Richard Graham, 1995-96
- Professor Wm. Roger Louis, 1992-93
- Professor Emeritus Lewis L. Gould, 1990-91
- Associate Professor Michael B. Stoff, 1989-90
- Professor Brian P. Levack, 1985-86
- Associate Professor George B. Forgie, 1984-85
- Professor Emeritus Robert A. Divine, 1983-84
- Graduate Program
- Undergraduate Program
- Normandy Scholar Program on WWII
- Courses in History
- Events & Conferences
- Gender Symposium
- Alumni & Giving
- About & Resources
University of Texas at Austin
128 Inner Campus Dr. B7000
Austin, Texas 78712-1739
- Office of the Dean
- Academic Affairs
- Research & Graduate Studies
- Student Affairs
- Business Affairs
- Human Resources
- Alumni & Giving
- Public Affairs
- LAITS: IT & Facilities
- The University of Texas at Austin
116 Inner Campus Dr Stop G6000
Austin, TX 78712
- General Inquiries: