Student Organizations for History Students
Phi Alpha Theta
National Honor Society in History, Beta-Alpha Chapter
What is Phi Alpha Theta?
We are a national professional society whose mission is to promote the study of history through:
- the encouragement of research
- good teaching
- the exchange of learning and ideas among historians
We seek to bring students, teachers and writers of history together for intellectual and social exchanges which promote and assist historical research and publication by our members in a variety of ways.
How do I know if I am eligible for Phi Alpha Theta?
Beta-Alpha Chapter requirements for membership are:
- For undergraduates: Completion of at least 12 semester hours of history taken at any college or university with a minimum 3.1 GPA; minimum of 3.0 GPA in overall coursework.
- For graduate students: A major or minor in history, completion of one semester in residence and a grade point average of 3.5 in history and 3.0 in non-history courses taken in the Graduate School.
How can I join?
Students eligible for membership will be contacted by a representative of Phi Alpha Theta with the necessary information to join. (There is no longer an application process.) For questions about eligibility, contact History Undergraduate Advising Office, 512-471-7670.
How much are the membership dues?
The membership fee is $40. An additional $20 is required for local chapter dues. Payment of the $60 fee entitles the member to a lifetime membership in Phi Alpha Theta and a one-year subscription to The Historian, a scholarly journal published by the national office of Phi Alpha Theta.Last updated: December 18, 2014
- Graduate Program
- Undergraduate Program
- Normandy Scholar Program on WWII
- Courses in History
- Events & Conferences
- Gender Symposium
- Alumni & Giving
- About & Resources
University of Texas at Austin
128 Inner Campus Dr. B7000
Austin, Texas 78712-1739
- Office of the Dean
- Academic Affairs
- Research & Graduate Studies
- Student Affairs
- Business Affairs
- Human Resources
- Alumni & Giving
- Public Affairs
- LAITS: IT & Facilities
- The University of Texas at Austin
116 Inner Campus Dr Stop G6000
Austin, TX 78712
- General Inquiries: