Promotion and Tenure Guidelines for 2014-2015
The Promotion and Tenure Dossier Guidelines and sample documents assist faculty and staff to compile and catalog all documents related to the promotion file. They are based on the Provost guidelines, and the Provost Office's General Guidelines should be considered the overall source for promotion process and policy. Some practices described in our checklist apply to our college only. If you have any questions or seek clarification, please do ask us!
Note: These documents are provided as a guideline for Liberal Arts faculty and departmental administrative staff only.
Letters to Outside Reviewers (COLA only)
For non-tenure track promotions, please use the letters on the Provost’s website.
Note: PDF files require Adobe Acrobat Reader to view. XLS and DOC files require Microsoft Viewer.
Scanning of files
We will let you know where you will upload the promotion file documents once we can confirm the location. We will also provide complete scanning guidelines.
- March: Departments notify Dean's Office of who will be going up for promotion and tenure in the Fall.
- April-May: Dean's Office staff meets with candidates and department staff to go over guidelines and answer questions.
- September 15, 2014: Promotion materials are due to the Dean's Office.
- October 1, 2014 (at latest): CoLA Promotion and Tenure Committee begins to review promotion materials.
- October 24-26, 2014: CoLA Promotion and Tenure Committee meets to deliberate and vote on promotion candidates.
- November 20, 2014: Promotion materials are due to the Provost's office.
- Early December 2014: Dean Diehl will meet with President's Committee to discuss promotion candidates.
- December 17, 2014: President will notify the Dean of promotion and tenure decisions.
- January 12, 2015: Deadline to notify Provost's Office of intent to submit final arguments for Terminal Appointment Pending decisions.
- January 30, 2015: Deadline to submit final arguments for Terminal Appointment Pending decisions.
- February 20, 2015: President will notify Dean of outcome of Terminal Appointment Pending decisions, whenever possible.
Please direct questions about the College of Liberal Arts Promotion and Tenure Review process to Gail Davis