Centralized Business Services
Liberal Arts Building

Purchasing and Accounting


Contracts are legal agreements between the University and an individual or business entity that is processed with the Business Contracts Office. Contracts are required when services are to be paid to a third party or services are to be paid in advance. 


A co-sponsorship can be internal (within UT), or external (outside of UT / with student groups).

Co-sponsorships within UT mean that departments, centers, and organizations exchange funds amongst themselves for various events. The two entities involved do not need to be in the same college.
Example: “Department A would like to give Department B $300 to bring a Guest Lecturer to campus to give a talk.”

Co-sponsorships outside of UT mean that UT is giving an external organization funds for a given event.
Example: “Department A would like to give $300 to an outside organization to assist with general expenses related to an event.”

  • **Note: External co-sponsorships require a detailed invoice from the external organization as soon as possible after the co-sponsorship is proposed. The invoice will be used to gain approval for the co-sponsorship.
  • *Note: Some scenarios may require a contract. For example, when the co-sponsorship with the outside organization involves bringing a lecturer to campus (honorarium paid to 3rd party).



Memberships to professional organizations may be generally purchased with a ProCard or may be reimbursed to an individual, depending on the membership type and funding source. Please note that certain restrictions apply if using state funds.

  • If a membership is paid with a ProCard, please submit the receipt along with a ProCard Charge Form to your CBS group.
  • If a membership purchase is to be reimbursed to an individual, please submit the receipt along with a General Reimbursement Form to your CBS team.
  • If a vendor provides an invoice for membership fees, you may pay by ProCard or provide the invoice to your CBS team. *NOTE: a Payee Information Form may be needed if the vendor is not in the UT system.


Procurement Cards (or ProCards) are for individual faculty and staff to use for various academic/administrative purchases. They are tied to UT accounts and therefore must be properly reconciled each month.

Purchase Order

There are various types of purchase orders associated with purchases made from vendors who are classified as a business or corporation. Please see the Handbook of Business Procedure’s Purchasing Process Flowchart for information on which type of purchase order may be needed. *NOTE: All purchase orders must be approved prior to the start of the services.

  • PBO: A small purchase order of $5000 or less. Used for goods or services to be purchased from vendors (not individuals) that are not available in UT Market. Common examples include paper shredding, lab equipment, shuttle service, and printer rental agreements.
  • PBU: Documents created from purchases made through FRMS (through UT Market). Common examples are office supplies from Office Max and software/hardware from the Campus Computer Store.
  • PB3: Large purchase orders that are greater than $25,000 and consist of multiple sources. Requires submission of three bidders with at least one bid from a woman-owned business and one bid from a minority-owned business.
  • PB4: Large purchase orders (greater than $5000) existing with a contract, consisting of only one source, containing award criteria, or for sole source purchases with a justification letter.


Scholarships and fellowships may be paid to students for travel, cash awards, stipends, or tuition. Please fill out the Scholarship/Fellowship Payment Form and submit it to your CBS team for processing.


The following are common payment methods used to ship items:

  • eShip Global
  • Procard
  • Personal reimbursement


Most software and technology purchases should go through UT Market. If software or technology cannot be found in UT Market, please contact your CBS team with an item request prior to purchasing it.

UT Market

UT Market is an electronic procurement system that enables shoppers to browse for products across multiple suppliers, and can be used to conveniently purchase a variety of items for academic and administrative use.

Wire Transfers

When requesting a wire transfer or foreign draft, a State of Texas Manual Purchase Voucher should be completed as well the Wire Transfer Information Form.  

•  The completed forms should be submitted to the CoLA CBS office along with any back up documentation such as the invoice, APS form, RTA form, and/or payment contract.  
•  For purchases under $500, only one authorized signature is required.  Purchases over $500, two authorized signers are required.  (see the GBS screen in Define). 
• In cases, where the wire transfer uses endowed accounts administered by the College of Liberal Arts Dean's office (the account title is preceded by 'DLA'), the paperwork must route to CBS Group 1 or 2 for review.
• Please do not include the wire transfer fee on the voucher unless a separate account number will be use to pay the fee.

All wire transfer requests that route to CoLA CBS Office for approval will be forwarded to the Office of Accounting, MAI 132, within 1-business day of being signed. Signed paperwork will be uploaded to Box.
Note: Please do not send any copies to Cash Management.  

For more information on wire transfers and foreign drafts, please refer to the university instructions and slide show.
Wire Transfers and Foreign Drafts Instructions

Wire Transfers and Foreign Drafts Slide Show

Contact Us

CBS Team 1 Gregory Halverstadt, Shweta Saharan, Matthew Smith, Amy McMillan
CBS Team 2 Andrew Beachum, Mai Damianov, Peter Koester, Amy McMillan
Finance Team David Macha, Emily Bailey, Melina Leon
CBS HR Team John Ward

CBS Forms