The UT Global Initiative for Education and Leadership (UTGI) was created to leverage the faculty and institutional strengths of The University of Texas at Austin to create educational opportunities and strengthen educational capacities around the world. UTGI’s presence in international education arena strengthens the UT Austin brand, provides valuable experience to its faculty, and creates new opportunities for the University.
The mission of the UT Global Initiative is to use the power of education for the advancement of the global community by opening avenues of dialogue, building sustainable leadership, and fostering environments of learning.
Some of UTGI’s notable accomplishments include:
- Educational outreach trips to Bahrain, Oman, Saudi Arabia, and the United Arab Emirates. Meetings with key education professionals in the public and private sectors, including top government officials.
- Successful organization of teacher training workshops in Bahrain, Saudi Arabia, and the United Arab Emirates.
- Presentations on teacher training, study abroad, and professional development for young women at the 2012 and 2013 International Exposition and Conference on Higher Education (IECHE), in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia.
- Participation, by State Department invitation, in an educational mission to Algeria, Morocco, and Tunisia; meetings with leaders of universities, businesses, and nonprofit leaders to discuss higher education challenges and opportunities in the region.
- Strategic partnership in the organization of the 2013 Gulf Education Conference and Exhibition (GECE) in London; keynote presenter and recipient of the 2013 Commitment to Education Award.
- Co-sponsorship of the 2013 Embassy-University Showcase in Washington, D.C., with the Embassies of Bahrain and Malaysia, to promote educational cooperation.
- Educational outreach trip to Guatemala; meetings and consultation with top education officials in government and universities to build relationships and assess needs and opportunities.
- Educational networking trips to Washington, D.C.; meetings with representatives from the White House, State Department, embassy attachés, and leaders of major educational entities such as Chemonics and FHI 360.
- Invitation by State Department to join the “Partners for a New Beginning” program.
- Development and implementation of Fast Track programs, offering accelerated English language learning and academic/professional enrichment to international students.
- Representation at EducationUSA fairs in Kuwait, New Zealand, and the United Arab Emirates.
- Partnership with the Center for Learning Innovations and Customized Knowledge Solutions (CLICKS), launched by co-organization of the 2013 Higher Education Leadership Forum.