The highly competitive Foreign Language and Area Studies (FLAS) Fellowship is funded by the U.S. Department of Education. The fellowship assists meritorious graduate students undergoing intensive training in modern languages and related area or international studies.
Academic Year Awards - for Graduate Students OnlyThe academic year FLAS fellowship provides a $15,000 annual stipend and pays for tuition and required fees (up to a maximum of 9 credit hours). During the fellowship period, FLAS recipients must be enrolled in at least three hours of language instruction and at least one relevant area studies course during each long semester. Both courses must be taken on a letter-grade basis.
Summer Awards - for Undergraduate and Graduate Students
The summer FLAS fellowship provides a $2,500 stipend and institutional payments (tuition and course-related fees) up to $5,000. Summer FLAS recipients must enroll in an approved intensive modern South Asian language study program for which the fellowship is granted. SASLI (at the University of Wisconsin) and AIIS (in various places in India) are the most common programs used, but you may attend other universities in the US or other institutions in India, such as the Landour Language School for Intermediate Hindi, if the syllabus is approved and there are at least 150 class contact hours during the fellowship period.
Summer FLAS recipients must apply to the International Office for Independent Study & Research (ISR) status. SAI will cover ISR-related fees. Students will be registered for ISR 080, which allows them to maintain current student status and covers them under International SOS, UT's overseas emergency plan. Stipends will not be disbursed until students are registered for ISR 080.
- Official academic transcripts
- Two letters of academic reference with reference forms
- One letter of language reference with reference form
- Download reference forms (PDF 279KB)*
- Download FLAS Fellowship FAQ (PDF 146KB) for more details and fequently asked questions
Please have transcripts and references sent to:
FLAS coordinator, South Asia Institute
The University of Texas at Austin, WCH 4.132 (G9300)
Austin, Texas 78712
Phone: (512) 232-9096 Fax: (512) 471-3336
SAI offers academic year funding for the following languages: Bengali, Hindi, Malayalam, Pashto, Tamil, Telugu, and Urdu, and other approved contemporary South Asian languages.
Students from all fields of study, and from all departments, colleges, and schools are eligible to apply for FLAS funding, as long as the student:
- Is a citizen, or a national or permanent resident of the United States;
- Is in a program of study that combines modern foreign language training with an area or international studies emphasis or;
- Is engaged in research and training in the international aspects of professional and other fields of study related to the region of South Asia;
- Is enrolled in a program of modern foreign language training (please refer to the approved language list above);
- For Graduate Students: Is engaged in pre-dissertation study, preparation for dissertation research, or, in certain cases, dissertation research abroad, or dissertation writing;
- For Undergraduate Students: Is enrolled in a program of modern foreign language training at the intermediate or advanced level.
Please Note: Awards will not be made to native speakers of the language nor those who possess fluency equivalent to educated native speakers in the language for which the award is sought.
Important FLAS Fellowship Dates:
- DEADLINE EXTENDED: All applications are due on February 14, 2014
- Notifications of awards are sent out at the end of March 2014
In order to support all students traveling to international locations, UT's International Office has put into place a new travel policy. All enrolled undergraduate, graduate and professional students participating in activities or events abroad (whether required or optional) must obtain authorization to travel abroad. Please go to the the Study Abroad website (link provided below) for information on the steps you must take to comply with this policy before your travel.
*Unless otherwise indicated, documents are available in PDF format. PDF documents require Adobe's Acrobat Reader software, a free download from Adobe's website.