Internal Transfer Admission
As of 8/15/14 all internal transfers into the IRG major will need to complete an application for admission.
The number of students who want to major in IRG exceeds the number who can be adequately instructed by the faculty. There are likely to be more students who will be eligible to apply to the IRG major than can be admitted, so meeting the minimum requirements in not a guarantee of admission to the IRG major.
To be eligible for internal transfer into the IRG major as an undergraduate student you must meet all of the following criteria:
- Minimum 2.5 cumulative GPA with at least 12 hours in residence taken for a letter grade.
- Must be prior to the fifth long semester in college, at UT Austin or at a previous institution. Transfer students entering the university with 4 or more semesters can only apply in their first semester.*
- Must have at least two of the following in progress or completed:
- At least one foreign language course with a grade of C or higher
- ECO 301, 304K or 304L
- GRG 305
- ANT 302, RTF 312C or SOC 302
- Three hours from the minor area
- Must attend an internal transfer information session:
- Monday, 2/1 - 4-5pm
- Thursday, 2/18 - 3:30-4:30pm
- Wednesday, 3/2 - 10-11am
- Tuesday, 3/22 - 2-3pm
- Wednesday, 4/6 - 12-1pm
- Thursday, 4/21 - 11am-12pm
- Monday, 5/2 - 3-4pm
Please Note: The intent of the internal transfer session is to enhance your understanding of IRG as a major at UT and therefore help you determine if IRG is the right major for you.
* Students will have an opportunity to explain any special circumstances related to this criterion, e.g. a reduced course load accommodation through Services for Students with Disabilities.
Through April 6th, students who have already attended an internal transfer information session may make an appointment with an IRG advisor to discuss the application process. Please call 512-232-6344 or stop by the IRG advising office in CLA 1.216 to schedule an appointment.
IRG Application Deadline
Application deadline for fall 2016 admission is Monday, May 2nd, 2016. The online application will be availabile starting on April 1st, 2016.
Internal Transfer Info Sessions for fall 2016 Admission:
All sessions will be in CLA 1.302D
Monday, 2/1 - 4-5pm
Thursday, 2/18 - 3:30-4:30pm
Wednesday, 3/2 - 10-11am
Tuesday, 3/22 - 2-3pm
Wednesday, 4/6 - 12-1pm
Thursday, 4/21 - 11am-12pm
Monday, 5/2 - 3-4pm